Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 09:27 PM

Default Goin from 4 to 8 tabling

A couple weeks ago i started eight tabling at 2/4 on party poker and have hit one hell of a dry spell. i was averaging about 5 bb/100 hands four tabling, which i knew was bound to drop down a little but i did not expect to get hit the way i did. i lost about 300 BB in the course of three weeks, but dont really see much difference in my VPIP and agression. im considering going back to four tables after a couple more shots at eight tabling and was just wondering if anyone else hit this problem when they changed. just yesterday i downloaded playerview, so hopefully that will help me. does anyone have any other recomendations. i appreciate the help.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Goin from 4 to 8 tabling

If you lost 300BB at 2/4 you have serious leaks. At the winrate I think you should have before considering 8 tabling, a 300BB downswing is nigh impossible. Playing 8 tables is clearly burning money for you.

-SmileyEH
Old 04-27-2005, 09:34 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I made a post but it disappeared. basically, you can't tell how much 8 tabling has affected you. you were running good and now you're running bad. also your numbers won't change because the majority of your decisions are routine. it's the tough decisions that you make on impulse that will add up to cost you money. you're also probably not nearly as good as you think you are. you were just running good

also if you want to try it again, go from 4 to 6 and stay at 6 for a significant period of time. 4 to 8 is a huge jump
Old 04-28-2005, 01:10 AM

thanks for the reply. the thing is i was running good for about 20,000 hands, the odds of someone running that good for that period of a time is pretty slim. i feel like i am making bad decisions with high cards and so on. i was just looking to see if someone else had the same problem with going from four tables to eight.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was averaging about 5 bb/100 hands four tabling, which i knew was bound to drop down a little but i did not expect to get hit the way i did.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
the thing is i was running good for about 20,000 hands, the odds of someone running that good for that period of a time is pretty slim.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given both of your quotes above, I suggest that you brush up on your statistics, since you seemed to believe that 20K hands was enough to determine that your true win rate was somewhere in the ballpark of 4bb/100.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:25 AM

My winrate fell 1.15 BB/100 when I went from 4 to 8 tables

The sheer volume of hands I play each month more than made up for the drop in my BB/100. I am about add some more tables and I expect it to again drop slightly, not as extreme as it did the 1st time.

Part of the reason My bb/100 dropped so much when going from 4 to 8 tables was due to the fact that I went pro and I play 1/2 of my sessions during the afternoons and 1/2 during the peak periods. The tables are tougher during the afternoons.

Before I went pro I always 4 tabled at night during peak periods when the tables were full of fish.

On a side note, if you are losing 300 BB at 2-4 you have some serious leaks to plug, either that or you can not play 8 tables well.

20K hands in nothing
Old 04-28-2005, 01:41 AM

20,000 hands is statistically meaningless.

Also, post lots of hands. If you get a bunch of NH replies, you are doing nothing wrong...

But I have a feeling you will get a lot of helpful critiques [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2005, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
20,000 hands is statistically meaningless.

Also, post lots of hands. If you get a bunch of NH replies, you are doing nothing wrong...

But I have a feeling you will get a lot of helpful critiques [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

He is certainly a winning player 4 tabling. Most likely over 2BB/100.

-SmileyEH
Old 04-28-2005, 02:02 AM

I'm not saying he is not a winning player 4 tabling. I am saying to lose 300BB at 2/4 doesn't happen if you don't have good size leaks, and I'm sure that he, as well as everyone here, can benefit by some hand posting.

Not everyone can win 4bb/100 smiley [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2005, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying he is not a winning player 4 tabling. I am saying to lose 300BB at 2/4 doesn't happen if you don't have good size leaks, and I'm sure that he, as well as everyone here, can benefit by some hand posting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - I just mean that some drastic stuff happened from adding 4 tables- be it an exacerbation of preexisting leaks or otherise.

-SmileyEH