Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Airplane flying

Any of you OOtiots know anything about flying? How long does it take to get a pilot license, approximate cost, eyesight requirements. I have kinda lousy vision so that might be an impediment, but i don't know. Plus this is a decent topic.

polltard
Old 08-25-2005, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Airplane flying

http://faa.gov/licenses_certificates/

Also:

become

training
Old 08-25-2005, 08:23 PM

I hear you can cut some time out if you aren't interested in learning how to land.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:24 PM

I hase 2 friends that are pilots, and I know 1 of them has a commercial liscence, it took him 200 hours of air time (which I think is ridiculously low). But commercial doesnt necassarily mean a 747 etc. He is 21 or 22 now, and learned everything from Parks college at St louis U. So it really doenst take that long to get through the program.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:25 PM

You may also want to check out http://www.studentpilot.com.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:27 PM

I'm a flight instructor, so I can answer your questions from personal experience.

I'm assuming that you're simply going for your Private Pilot certificate, correct?

Length of time: Completely dependent on you. If you can set aside the time to fly 3-4 times per week, you could have your certificate done (realistically) in 3-5 months. 3 months being the low end for sharp students.

Approximate cost: If you do your training at a normal flight school at an airport, expect to pay anywhere from $5000-$7000 for your private certificate.

Eyesight: Is your vision correctable to 20/20? If so, you won't have a problem. I have 20/400 vision uncorrected, and never had a problem passing a medical.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hear you can cut some time out if you aren't interested in learning how to land.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol nice
Old 08-25-2005, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha nh
Old 08-25-2005, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a flight instructor, so I can answer your questions from personal experience.

I'm assuming that you're simply going for your Private Pilot certificate, correct?

Length of time: Completely dependent on you. If you can set aside the time to fly 3-4 times per week, you could have your certificate done (realistically) in 3-5 months. 3 months being the low end for sharp students.

Approximate cost: If you do your training at a normal flight school at an airport, expect to pay anywhere from $5000-$7000 for your private certificate.

Eyesight: Is your vision correctable to 20/20? If so, you won't have a problem. I have 20/400 vision uncorrected, and never had a problem passing a medical.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, Private Pilot certificate. That's a little more than I thought. I live in Salt Lake and tomorrow I will make some inquiries. I wear glasses but i don't know what my numbers are. Do you like flying ? Doyou own your own plane or rent to fly?

polltard
Old 08-25-2005, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, Private Pilot certificate. That's a little more than I thought. I live in Salt Lake and tomorrow I will make some inquiries. I wear glasses but i don't know what my numbers are. Do you like flying ? Doyou own your own plane or rent to fly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Best $10k I ever spent was getting my private (I'm in NY, maybe you can do it cheaper in Salt Lake); don't sweat the medical, as long as you're not on the verge of dying you'll be fine.

Unless you want to burn money like a madman don't even think about buying a plane; the maintenance and insurance will eat you alive. Renting is the way to go, and it's fine to rent a beater to save a few bucks when you're learning.