Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 03:08 AM

Default Re: Religion is ethics for stupid people

[ QUOTE ]
Stupid people don't understand the concept of value of a human life, morality, etc.

Therefore, if there was no religion, stupid people would rob, murder, etc. as there is no "penalty" involved.

Religion is ethics and morality in a pretty story, dumbed down to the level of the masses so they can comprehend. So the only reason the dumb people don't commit murder is not to go to hell. Going to hell is the main part of religion.

Going to hell is the CORE of christianity. If the paragraph saying "you will go to hell" is erased from the bible, and the pope says on TV "we were wrong about going to hell, there is no hell" then faithfull catholics would sharply drop till it reached zero, and the religion would end instantly.

Therefore, religion is a good lie, as it serves like a crowd control. If there was no christianity or other religion with the hell-threat, then our civilization would break down to disorder, as stupid people would start killing each other.

The law is insuficient to deal with crazy dumb people. We need the religion with the hell penalty. I mean, criminals aren't afraid of the death penalty nowadays... you need to threat them with LIVING ETERNITY IN FIRE AND DOOM for them to respect other people.

Doesn't everyone agree?

[/ QUOTE ]
There would also be people more intellegent than you or I who would start killing people. I might even try my hand at killing.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:46 AM

I am going to answer this the way it needs to be answered.
I AM an intelligent person, and the possibility of Hell is EXACTLY what keeps me from killing. And if there is no other reason to keep YOU from killing this is a good enough one. In gambling terms if there is a .000000000000001% chance of hell, and if you go there you are looking at serving .000000000000000001% multiplied by an infinite amount of time. You are clearly getting the correct odds to not kill as long as you see eternity in flames as a -.
Sorry to all the geniuses but even YOU are getting laid the right price!!!!!!!
However I'm not saying that if there was ABSOLUTELY no hell I would kill EVERYONE. Just drug dealers, murderers, rapists (at least of my immediate family), and used car dealers.
Now that I have cleared this up for EVERYONE, go drop an opinion on my IQ of top players thread. As I don't have an ABSOLUTE answer in that as I do in this.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am going to answer this the way it needs to be answered.
I AM an intelligent person, and the possibility of Hell is EXACTLY what keeps me from killing. And if there is no other reason to keep YOU from killing this is a good enough one. In gambling terms if there is a .000000000000001% chance of hell, and if you go there you are looking at serving .000000000000000001% multiplied by an infinite amount of time. You are clearly getting the correct odds to not kill as long as you see eternity in flames as a -.
Sorry to all the geniuses but even YOU are getting laid the right price!!!!!!!
However I'm not saying that if there was ABSOLUTELY no hell I would kill EVERYONE. Just drug dealers, murderers, rapists (at least of my immediate family), and used car dealers.
Now that I have cleared this up for EVERYONE, go drop an opinion on my IQ of top players thread. As I don't have an ABSOLUTE answer in that as I do in this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your argument is flawed for the same reasons that Pascal's wager is flawed.

Do you avoid going to hell by following the moral code of christianity, judaism, hinduism, or how about an obscure pagan conception of hell from a few millenia ago? How about the conception of hell of crazy Steve, who lives down the street? After all, there is a .0000000000000000001% chance he is telling the truth that you need to pull off all of your toenails to avoid going to hell.