Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 02:41 PM

Default got the details on Party\'s WSOP Package (they are a bunch of crooks)

I won the PartyPoker WSOP package a few weeks ago, by winning Step 6.

On their webpage, it advertises the package as including the $10k buy-in, 10 nights "luxury hotel" (for which they deducted $2,000 from the prize pool) and $1,500 cash. So the total prize is $13,500.

I've been bugging them for weeks to get the details on the hotel, and have gotten a different answer every time I've asked, but always to the tune of something like "you'll get an email within a month with all of the details."

Well, today I got the email. They've done the following:

1. Reduced the hotel by 1 night and increased the cash by $200 (fine).
2. Booked me at the MGM Grand, with the option to check out after 5 nights and get a refund of $800. i.e. they are taking $200 out of the prize for each night at the MGM.

There are two problems with that:

1. The MGM doesn't cost $200 per night. According to the MGM website, it is $149.95 for the nights in question (I'm not sure if I could get cheaper thru expedia or somewhere else, but I am SURE Party got some sort of bulk discount). So they are skimming at least $50/night out of everyone's prize (plus discount, less taxes, but I'll just call it $50/night).

2. I don't want to stay at the MGM. I can get the poker rate at Bellagio and pay less than $150/night (on average).

Does anyone think they'll be responsive at all to these concerns?

Any suggestions on the best strategy to convince them to give me the full amount in cash and let me book my own hotel?
Old 05-11-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: got the details on Party\'s WSOP Package (they are a bunch of crooks)

You may be right, but don't forget tax etc. and does the price incl food?
Old 05-11-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Re: got the details on Party\'s WSOP Package (they are a bunch of crooks)

One thing you might want to check...

The WSOP is a pretty big event, do you think perhaps the hotels are taking advantage of this fact and raising rates during the week of the Main Event? I don't know, it's just something you might want to call the hotels about and find out for a fact before bitching at PP.

PP doesn't have a great customer service image right now, and I would think most of your concerns will be ignored. They'll probably come back with something like "you will get what we give you and you will like it!"

Good luck with that though...
Old 05-11-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Re: got the details on Party\'s WSOP Package (they are a bunch of crook

[ QUOTE ]
PP doesn't have a great customer service at all, and I would think most of your concerns will be ignored. They'll probably come back with something like "we tried to contact you at the number you provided at the time you specified, but could not reach you. Please call us as this problem cannot be solved via email"
Thank you for using Party Poker
Jahib

[/ QUOTE ]
Fixed yr post.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to stay at the MGM. I can get the poker rate at Bellagio and pay less than $150/night (on average).

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you really expecting yourself to play 4-6 hours of poker each day in order to get the poker rate on your room there while you're playing in the biggest tournament in the world? I can't imagine putting yourself through several more hours of play after each full day of the WSOP could be worth doing.

I don't refute anything else you're saying though - if Party is screwing you out of $50/day on the room rate after the high rake they're already getting on the steps tourneys that is just ridiculous. Especially for a company with hundreds of millions of profit per year.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The WSOP is a pretty big event, do you think perhaps the hotels are taking advantage of this fact and raising rates during the week of the Main Event? I don't know, it's just something you might want to call the hotels about and find out for a fact before bitching at PP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do people really believe this? If the main event of the WSOP attracts 6000 players it will only be a blip on the radar screen compared to some of the big conventions that Las Vegas draws.

CES attracted over 130,000 people, I think Las Vegas will be able to handle 6000 some.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:11 PM

don't forget about phil helmuth's mom. +1!
Old 05-11-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you really expecting yourself to play 4-6 hours of poker each day in order to get the poker rate on your room there while you're playing in the biggest tournament in the world?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is under control--they are very lax about monitoring actual hours, plus you can aggregate hours for anyone in your room.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The WSOP is a pretty big event, do you think perhaps the hotels are taking advantage of this fact and raising rates during the week of the Main Event?

[/ QUOTE ]

I checked the rates for those exact nights.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:25 PM

I mean, you ARE going to the WSOP, all expenses paid.

Jus' sayin'.