Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2004, 11:25 PM

Default Nomar Who?

Orlando Cabrera just back after visiting his sick wife in Columbia hits a dramatic 12th Inning walk off Home run. As the late great Ned Martin used to say, "Mercy".
Old 09-22-2004, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Nomar Who?

I didn't know Ned Martin was dead. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2004, 11:57 PM

Nomar who hit .372 and has a .323 lifetime batting average and scored 100 runs six times.

If they had been successful in getting rid of Ramirez, would you have said "Manny who?"

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2004, 11:59 PM

Where Baltimore lost the game was when Mazilli had whats-his-name bunt with 1st and 2nd and nobody out in the top of the inning. Then they lost Javy Lopez's bat to the intentional walk and had a banjo hitter up there.

What was Bill Mueller trying to do with that ball that hit third base? He looked like he thought it might be kryptonite.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't know Ned Martin was dead. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, the Red Sox long time broadcaster passed away last year.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What was Bill Mueller trying to do with that ball that hit third base? He looked like he thought it might be kryptonite.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was trying to not pull a "Bill Buckner". [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2004, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nomar who hit .372

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved that guy, but he's not around anymore. He has never been the same since he hurt his wrist a few years ago, and since then he's had other injury problems--the achilles, hamstring, etc.

Several teams had Nomar rated as the worst defensive shortstop in baseball this season. Obviously injuries have a lot to do with that, but you can see how far he has fallen.

I hated the Nomar trade at the team--it didn't seem the Sox got anywhere near equivalent value--but Cabrera plays every game, is great defensively, contributes offensively and has a great attitude, something which was sorely lacking from Nomar this year. Both Nomar and Cabrera are free agents at the end of the season--it will be interesting to see who gets the bigger contract...
Old 09-23-2004, 10:56 AM

you know when you look at the numbers, Nomar has been a little better offensively since the trade, but Cabrera has been a little better as well. I think the trade was pretty much a push for both teams, except Boston just doesn't have to deal with Nomar anymore. I did notice though that Mienkiewitz has been sucking since the trade.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the trade was pretty much a push for both teams, except Boston just doesn't have to deal with Nomar anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ripped it at the time, but the trade has been a spectacular success for the Red Sox. Their defense has improved tremendously (take a look at how many unearned runs they gave up before the trade, and how many after), and they have a shortstop who plays every day. On paper it looked bad, but the results speak for themselves. In this case, the intangible benefit of getting rid of a guy who was poisoning the lockerroom can not be overlooked.

[ QUOTE ]
I did notice though that Mienkiewitz has been sucking since the trade.

[/ QUOTE ]

That stats don't show his defensive contributions, which have been significant. The guys on the local sports radio show were even commenting today that it seems as if he makes a superb (not just good) defensive play almost every time he plays.

He'll never be an offensive force, but he's nice to have around when Lowe (who gets a ton of ground balls) is pitching, or as a defensive replacement.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I did notice though that Mienkiewitz has been sucking since the trade.

[/ QUOTE ]

Imo Mienkiewitz won the game for them last night with his defense. Made 2 sterling plays in the late innings.