Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Playing aces too weak...or too strong?

Four handed on the commuter train -- 1-5 spread limit, 1-10 on the river. Ante $1 for the table, posted by dealer. Two limpers and I have split aces. I make it $5 to go and get called by one limper. He's a new player, unknown, says he plays mainly n/l he. But his father is probably the best player in the game (he's sitting in the main game, there are often so many train players that we have two tables).

On fourth the boards look like this:

(xx)KK
(3A)AT

He checks, I bet $5, he calls.

We both brick on fifth. He checks, I check behind. Same on sixth.

On the river, I catch a second pair. He checks, I bet $10. He calls.

Too weak? Too strong? Or just right?
Old 11-02-2005, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Playing aces too weak...or too strong?

On fourth there's a good chance you are behind 2 pair. You bet as hard as you could, but he isn't folding. Since he isn't going anywhere, and you are probably behind, there is no reason to bet if you can avoid it. I'd value bet the river after he checked.

As far as how you played it, I vote just right.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:15 PM

Since it is short handed and you say the guy is new to the game he could really be starting with anything, kings, smaller pair in the hole, just big cards, or just random cards, who knows I think odds are pretty good that he's not holding trip kings unless he wanted to call down and pop it on the river, which i doubt hes givin you all those cheap cards.

I probably bet 4th

bet 5th and try and narrow his hand down a little maybe

if he calls 5th I'm checking and taking my free card cuz I'm thinkin hes got 2 pair but hes playin it safe since you bet into his open kings so now won't raise unless he improves.

bet 7th
Old 11-02-2005, 07:22 PM

is this the long island railroad?? i remember a game on it a while ago, never played in it but always watched. there is no reason to not bet the river here he hasnt shown strength ever and passed up too many opportunities. i probably would have bet on sixth, i understand why you didnt on fifth but if he had a hand i dont seee how he checks twice here. if had a third king he left money on the table maybe.

Pat
Old 11-02-2005, 07:23 PM

why do you think he was behind?? is he really going to check THREE times hoping to lure that $10 on the river? i highly doubt it and if he did more power to him he should be in much bigger games.

Pat
Old 11-03-2005, 12:21 AM

Checking 5th can go either way, but I am betting 6th and if he calls I am betting 7th as well. NLHE players tend to be overally agro in limit games so going by that sterotype I would not put him on a decent hand when he plays so passively.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:02 AM

You played it well. I would probably bet sixth. I don't see most people checking Kings-up or better a third time after you've checked behind on sixth, so you should still be good. Definitely bet the river.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:15 AM

When someone pairs his door card its very dangerous, you should just take a free card on 4th street. I like the check on 5th, but you should probably bet 6th now because its pretty clear all he has is kings or he started rolled up and is slow playing quads (very unlikely). The river bet is good too.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why do you think he was behind??

[/ QUOTE ]

If you assume an unknown player is weak-tight, and you bet hard into him and he doesn't fold.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:19 AM

Well, this guy's pedigree influenced me. His dad is really a good poker player (stud and he), and from the few hands he'd played, he wasn't the type to start with crap, or call my $5 bet on third without some kind of hand or my $5 bet on fourth without at least a chance to beat aces.

I checked fifth in part because I feared trips, in part because I thought he likely had started with a pair down and would not fold kings up. When he checked again on sixth, I was pretty sure he did not have trips. But I checked because I thought two pair would call, and I am a dog to improve.

Going with my read of two pair, I was virtually sure I was good when I made two pair and he checked to me on the river.