Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 10:43 PM

Default New to 1/2 6-max. K8s in BB

So I've just started playing 1/2 6-max and... honestly, I have no idea how I'm doing. Yeah, I'm at 5.25BB/100 over 700 hands, but that's meaningless. I've been running well, incredibly small sample size, and... well, you get the idea. Anyway, from what I understand, shorthanded play means having to take advantage of more marginal spots. So here's a hand that may seem standard to most, but actually made me think quite a bit.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero...

SB here is 32.5/9 over 43 hands. I've only seen him showdown one pfr hand, and that was JJ.

Is this a simple fold? Or should I peel one off here for the backdoor draws and the K?

Posted here because the HUSH forum seems to be mostly 5/10 and above.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:46 PM

Default Re: New to 1/2 6-max. K8s in BB

Standard fold.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:44 AM

I've only been playing 6 max for a couple of months but I think this is a pretty standard fold. Your King outs may not be good to begin with, your out of position (utg could have a ten and raise) and drawing to a backdoor flush draw with at most 2 other players (and thats assuming utg calls the flop too) isn't going to win you any money in the long run.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:46 AM

Would you peel in full ring? Fold it.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:00 AM

I'd fold here in a 6 max game or a full ring game FWIW.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, from what I understand, shorthanded play means having to take advantage of more marginal spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

You still need to keep in mind the following:

The best hand still wins. Do you think you have the best hand? A player raises from the small blind. He's a little loose, but is certainly no LAG. Does king high have a chance of being best right now?

The odds don't change. Count your outs and look at the pot size. Do you have enough outs to call if you're losing?

Reads are important. 43 hands at SH is probably 7-9 orbits. If he prone to folding against aggression? Does he like to take the initiative by betting often on the flop? Or is he generally passive? 43 hands is not enough to know with much certainty, but you should have some clues to how he plays, which will hint at which way to lean if the decision is close.

Marginal is not the same as bad. Taking advantage of marginal situations means putting bets in the pot when you have only a slight edge. After considering the above, do you think your hand has a slight edge in this spot?