Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 02:33 AM

Default The wsop hand

I ask that you read this and think about this before looking at my response detailing the results.

EDIT - Stacj of roughly ~8k

I limp UTG at 25/50 with T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Next to act raises to 300. He's a Paradise qualifier that has underbet EVERYTHING he's played, including a JJ hand where he limped after a ton of limpers in the CO, called a decent raise then called down on a Q87xQ board for a +3k or so result. He's opened in EP a bunch though, generally for 150.

So folded to me, and I call. Flop is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

What shoud my plan be here?
Old 07-08-2005, 02:35 AM

Default Re: The wsop hand

so we left our hero on the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I see I have an overpair, so I check/call 500 on the flop, 1k on the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] turn, and 2500 on the J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] river, expecting him to roll high missed clubs or something.

A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is goot
Old 07-08-2005, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I limp UTG at 25/50 with T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Next to act raises to 300. He's a Paradise qualifier that has underbet EVERYTHING he's played

[/ QUOTE ]

Warning, warning, warning
Old 07-08-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I limp UTG at 25/50 with T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Next to act raises to 300. He's a Paradise qualifier that has underbet EVERYTHING he's played

[/ QUOTE ]

Warning, warning, warning

[/ QUOTE ]

probably. He's shown a postflop monster or two though.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:00 AM

tough one bug. i think you can muck this on the river -- he sounds passive and like he bets scared. a large river bet probably isn't his attempt to steal w/ a missed flush -- just my thoughts from the read you posted. next time flop a set.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:11 AM

I thought his first action defined his hand pretty clearly. If I don't flop a set, I'm moving on to another hand.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought his first action defined his hand pretty clearly. If I don't flop a set, I'm moving on to another hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, well, that's great in hindsight [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2005, 09:30 AM

havent read anything else, but my thought is to keep the pot small.

My line would probably be either check-call, or try to throw out a blocking bet, hoping he just calls, even if he has me beat. I dont really plan to fold the hand, but I dont feel like playing it for a ton of chips either.

Another option would be to check-raise the flop, and decide from there if you want to continue...in other words, I dont know
Old 07-08-2005, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah a standard continuation bet told me he definitely was the preflop raiser (in case I forgot), and that he had 2 cards and a pulse
Old 07-08-2005, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
expecting him to roll high missed clubs or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd think that when a reaonable player raises a limper from UTG+1, it's a biggish hand. Few overpairs that kill you, and AK, AQ maybe here and there. So I think that most of the time you won't see overcards. You're in a tough situation, and by the way you played it, you can't really tell if he's just continue-betting AK or has you beat. That's the problem with check-calling, IMO. For instance - if you lead the flop and he raises you, you can probably let go of the hand for a much cheaper price, and in some cases he might even only call and play a somewhat scared AA from that point and on, which is good to keep the pot small for the kind of hand you have. Only some thoughts.