Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Not bad for a team with no fans

There was an article in the Chicago Sun Times today about the hot market for Chicago White Sox World Series memorabilia. MLB states that White Sox world series paraphanalia is the third strongest sales ever (so far) and still going strong. Only 04 Bosox and 2000 NY/NY have eclipsed it and it's still not over yet. I can personally attest that I bought way more stuff than I thought I would.

Not bad for the second team in the second city. And at a time when the economy isn't all that strong. A giant has been woken up (hopefully!).
Old 11-11-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Not bad for a team with no fans

I would guess this is first year a White Sox fan actually admitted to being a White Sox fan. That and the Cubs converts who just really needed to feel what it was like to win. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2005, 01:14 PM

god, you act like they are the Pirates or something... they have fans, hell, I went to a game at wrigley this year and after the cubs lost, the bar contained a good amount of sox fans that were there for no other reason then to berate the cubs fans for losing.

in pittsburgh, after the game, you go to a bar, there are hardly pirates fans there, and people are, no kidding, doing steeler chants in the middle of the summer.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:18 PM

When they first changed their logo, every single young person owned a White Sox starter hat. It was like given to you as you walked in the door the first day of 7th grade.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:38 PM

Congrats.

I live in LA (originally from Seattle, so only a Mariners fan), and after the Halos won it in '02 (?), all of the sudden there were Anaheim fans all over the place. It was nauseating. EVERYBODY knew that none of these guys were tried-and-true fans (except for my boy Sooga, who always stood by them, even through the lean years, up until this year when he gave up on them vs. The Yankees in the ALDS, saying they had no shot)...

but I regress...

Yeah, fans everywhere, but all of them bandwagon jumpers. It was nauseating. Do you think you'll get sick of the guys wearing white sox gear who can't even spell "Ron Kittle"?

If the Mariners ever win, I will be elated (duh!). But about 11 weeks after they win, I'm sure I'll want to start punching M's "fans" left and right.

But, boy, I'd love to at least find out.

Congrats,

Josh
Old 11-11-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
god, you act like they are the Pirates or something

[/ QUOTE ]

Not me. But that does seem to be the general consensus on this board.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I live in LA (originally from Seattle, so only a Mariners fan), and after the Halos won it in '02 (?), all of the sudden there were Anaheim fans all over the place. It was nauseating.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt become an Angels fan when they won. I became an Angels fan when the mexican dude bought the team because of several reasons.

1) He mexican like me so I gotta back the team.
2) Hes rich and mexican, I dont know how he became rich or why, but I assumed that he would spend insane amounts of money because he is mexican.

Also the dodgers have been trying really hard to alienate the fans for the last 5 years. Its their way of saying, "dont bother with us, the real baseball team is in Anaheim." I really liked the way the Oakland A's were doing things and I read moneyball so I when the dodgers hired depodesta(sp?) I was thinking finallly the dodgers are going to turn it around and stop messing up, but then they fired him.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And at a time when the economy isn't all that strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT???