Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 04:01 AM

Default Poker hurting your life? Make a change!

I made a post on this forum called poker is hurting my life. You can find it here

That was two months ago, and I have made huge changes in the way I play since then. First of all, I have spent a lot of time reading, and posting on this forum. This has helped me a lot. I want to thank everyone here for giving me advice, for making great posts and for sharing personal details of their life.

So, whats changed in the last 2 months? I started diversifying my activities. I see my friends more. I feel better about myself because I've been able to keep my grades good despite some big mistakes that I made.

I started going to my therapist more regularly. We had some terrific discussions about my poker playing habits, and I've made a lot of adjustments because of him. He thinks poker is a good thing for me overall. Also, my therapist has helped me improve my outlook and attitude about life. I feel a lot more optimistic about everything.

I eat more often. This is very important. I play much better, and feel much better when I eat regular meals. I think the next step for me is to start doing some exercise, improve my personal hygiene, and keep my apartment cleaner. These are all things that make me feel better about myself.

When I am at home playing online, I will take breaks to make phonecalls, play video games, surf the web, post on 2+2, eat food, etc. also. I can't tell you guys how much playstation 2 has helped me.

I started spending my winnings. This made me feel very good. I lent a friend some money. I lent my mom some money. I bought stuff for my friends and my sister. I bought myself a lot of video games. I take cabs when I want to, see movies when I want to, etc. Doing this made me feel better about playing, and better about myself in general.

I started seeing a psychiatrist to treat my depression. I've had problems with depression on and off for eight or nine years. During the last three years its been especially bad. She gave me a prescription, and I have checkups with her and we discuss how my life is going, etc.

Overall, my outlook has improved 1000%. When I made that post, I realized that I had to start aggressively attacking the problems in my life. With the help of friends, family, mental health professionals, and people on this forum, I'm a lot happier. My bankroll and I are very greatful.
Thanks everyone, and keep up the good work!

Best regards,
Snowball
Old 08-08-2005, 04:33 AM

Default Re: Poker hurting your life? Make a change!

Thank you for sharing this, it was an uplifting read. Good luck to you!

[ QUOTE ]
[...] I realized that I had to start aggressively attacking the problems in my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:40 AM

I remember your original post. I can't tell you how glad I am to hear the update! It's so nice to hear that your doing well and your feeling better about yourself and your life.

I have a personal rule with poker. I'll never let it interfere with my social life. If I'm on a roll and a friend calls with an invite to do something I'll immediately stop playing to go out.

I too suffer from depression and am being treated for it. I know how bad it can get. It's great to hear your being treated for yours and it's working!

Good luck to you and congrats on the way things are going and mostly thanks for letting us know how you're doing! It's nice to get the updates [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2005, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When I made that post, I realized that I had to start aggressively attacking the problems in my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try check-raising the dirty dishes, and if that works try doing it to the laundry, then report back 'kay?

Keep it up, one day at a time.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:33 AM

The dishes 3 bet me and I folded. In find that paper plates are a lower variance form of dining.

Old 08-08-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In find that paper plates are a lower variance form of dining.

[/ QUOTE ]

But they're +EV
Old 08-08-2005, 01:15 PM

Its nice to heard it. Keep it up and good luck.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In find that paper plates are a lower variance form of dining.

[/ QUOTE ]

But they're +EV

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you recycle. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2005, 05:49 PM

I like this post..I did read ur original as well..good inspiration
Old 08-09-2005, 12:08 AM

Good post...nice to hear things are going your way...the exercise will help a lot to lift depression. Body for life.com is a good site for getting in shape...congrats. I must start soon as well....pity there isnt a fitness forum on here.

Bingo