Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 02:39 PM

Default my aces vs his. Do you stick around past 5th

I'm almost positive that villian didn't have two pair on 5th street. I figured I had 3 dueces to make the straight and pairing any of my cards would probably win it for me so I stuck around even though he has the better hand (jack kicker). Was I right to call it to the river then fold?

7 Card Stud High ($0.50/$1), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $0.25 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (4.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (9.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (6.00 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

6th Street - (8.00 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

River - (10.00 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

Total pot: (10.00 BB)
Old 06-09-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Re: my aces vs his. Do you stick around past 5th

Your fold is, of course, correct, as you cannot beat his board, but, I too would've stuck around to the river. I'd check-call if i'd made two pair and expect to lose anyway, as your second pair is probably beaten givin your low cards. On sixth, you do also have a double-gutshot draw, which is worth calling given the pot sizs weather or not you thought aces up would be good.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:57 AM

i agree. i would have seen the river and hoped to pair another card...seems often enough that players get a big pair and nothing else...plus your pot odds were reasonable enough to make a call with yr pair of aces. worst case scenario you lose two more bets and get a glance and what you were up against and how the opponent played em.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i agree. i would have seen the river and hoped to pair another card...seems often enough that players get a big pair and nothing else...plus your pot odds were reasonable enough to make a call with yr pair of aces. worst case scenario you lose two more bets and get a glance and what you were up against and how the opponent played em.

[/ QUOTE ]

well you wont necessarily get that glance. you can't call 7th if you don't pair up.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:46 AM

So worst case scenario is you only lose one bet? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2005, 11:18 AM

On 5th, I'd give him credit for two pair. At that point I'd assume that if I hit 2 pair my second pair would NOT beat his. As you say, that leaves you drawing for 3 2s, which is a little thin for the pot size. I think it is correct to fold, but probably wouldn't.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:31 AM

The problem here is the redonkulous over ante. If our here gets a 2 pair he must call, even if he thinks his 2 pair is beaten.

Too many people in this game will play ANY Ace. so you can't automatically assume your opponent has 2 higher pair.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:47 PM

I wouldn't necessacarily give him credit for two pair n fifth- it looks loke he was playing high cards, and almost everyone will bet with just an open pair of aces. fifth is a call, imo, and on sixth, he has a double-gutshot draw as well as the pair of aces- that's what i'd be trying to hit, but i'd probably call the river if i made two pair, too- that ante...