Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-26-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Fun 44 hand

I have 44 in the SB 4 handed. online 50. Opponent's first hand, never played with him. Not sure what I think about my fold.

Folded to me and I raise, He 3bets, I call.

Flop Jc4c2d

I check, he bets, I raise, he calls.

Turn Qc

I bet, he raises, I 3bet, he calls

River 6c

I bet, he raises, I fold
Old 12-26-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Fun 44 hand

Good fold-He is likely semi-bluffing turn with the Ace of Club especially considering he 3 bet preflop. I can't really imagine another hand that he would play this way. Good fold despite enormous odds. If an Ace of Clubs would've been river I would've called. Not sure about your river bet either, I'm in check calling mode there.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good fold-He is likely semi-bluffing turn with the Ace of Club especially considering he 3 bet preflop. I can't really imagine another hand that he would play this way. Good fold despite enormous odds. If an Ace of Clubs would've been river I would've called. Not sure about your river bet either, I'm in check calling mode there.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree.

Especially the part about check/calling the river. There's a lot of bluff inducement with a board like this and a pot this size. Plus, you never get outplayed by an unknown.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:35 PM

Why isn't calling the river here better? Let's say you're determined to invest 1bb here no matter what, what hands are calling a value bet? Is the ev of this call greater than the coup he could pull by bluff raising this, even if he only does this on a misclick?
Old 12-26-2005, 10:44 PM

I don't think there should be any debate that he'll call with worse hands. Any overpair, 2 pair, single pair, etc, will call my bet.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think there should be any debate that he'll call with worse hands. Any overpair, 2 pair, single pair, etc, will call my bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't argue that at all. I said the EV you gain from the hands he calls with is probably less than what he'll gain by even accidently raising the river.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:07 AM

I dont like the river bet either. Not with a set at least. With a hand like TPTK or perhaps even bottom two pair I would like bet fold much better.

Pot is big dont let him outplay you on the river. Check call. Yea you might give up a little value but you dont make the catastrophic mistake of folding the winner here.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:32 AM

You played this hand good. You must bet the river, too often your opponent is checking behind hands he would otherwise call down with.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont like the river bet either. Not with a set at least. With a hand like TPTK or perhaps even bottom two pair I would like bet fold much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

why? is he really raising the river with a set or two pair? or do you think he's folding these hands?