Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Letters of Resignation

Never done one before, but will be doing one soon. Do you typically explain why you are leaving in the letter or do you just politely say shove it my last day is XX/XX/XXXX?

This is my first job and I've worked here for 6 years but I'm getting tired of it. It's a small company and they're in a [censored] financial situation and really should have closed down months ago (anyone else would have at least). My departure will be very "boohoo tears please stay" sentimental.

Not to sound all high-and-mighty-I'm-Superman-like or anything, but it's a small company and I am literally responsible for more than 90% of what goes on here. There's a good chance the other 2 or 3 key people here will start job hunting and quit shortly after I do.

Knowing all this, and knowing that this guy's business will 99% tank after I leave, how do I proceed?

More importantly, how do I do it? Present it to him (the real boss, who is never here) or his wife (the one who never makes decisions, but is always here)? Hand it to someone or leave it on her desk until they feel like calling me in to talk about it? Or should I write SIIHP in crayon on the wall and just walk out now?
Old 12-22-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Letters of Resignation

Keep it clean and professional. Do state why you are leaving (as long as its a professional reason as well, intense desire to SIITP of your bosses wife is not a professional reason). Be polite, but firm. There is no reason whatsoever to burn your bridges. These people will be your referral for years to come.

Ray
Old 12-22-2005, 01:29 PM

The standard procedure is, walk in and tell your boss you need to talk. Let them know you're leaving and if they need assistance before hiring a replacement, give them a timeline that's suitable for both sides. 1-2 weeks usually. Let them ask you question on why you're leaving and keep them short or else you'll probably find yourself explaining the situation for much longer than you want to. In this case, I'd be honest on the reasons. They probably need to realize they are tanking and need to take emergency actions on their parts to keep the place going. Also, this way you can leave with a much clearer head and start looking for a new job w/no attachments to your current job.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:30 PM

you have 2 options
1) you resign nicely, i have found a positon else where, i loved working here, thanks for making me part of your team im sorry to go blah blah
2) burn your bridge, light the mother f'ers up and tell them off

theres no soft shoe approach like, im leaving because of a poor work environemnt, if your going to say that just tell them this place sucks dockey balls and piss on the bosses hat.

www.i-resign.com has some good ones. I used the "better postion" else where one.

You don't want to burn your bridge, one never knows...
Old 12-22-2005, 01:33 PM

Whatever you do, do NOT tell your boss or whoever to go F themselves. This will only make you feel good for about a day, and it won't open their eyes to some revelation. After you leave, business will most likely continue as usual. Even if it doesn't, you may have to deal with your co-workers and your boss in the near future.

I had this same situation when I left my first real job. Things were always contentious in the office, and I had my share of closed door meetings with both my manager and my partner.

My resignation letter was short and sweet. "This letter is notification of my intent to resign my position with your compnay. My last day of employment will be two weeks from this date, on X. I want to thank you and your company for giving me this opportunity." Give two letters to his wife, one for her and one for him. Tell her what the letter is, so she'll be sure to give it to him.

After working about six weeks at my second job, I got fired. If I had burned that bridge, I wouldn't have had the option to go back...which I seriously considered doing. I got a job at a different company, but I am so glad I didn't tell my first boss to F off. I was especially thankful when I found out my current employer's Christmas party was at the same time and place as the one I left, and my ex-company throws an awesome Christmas party. So I crashed it and was welcomed by everyone, including the manager and partner. Matter of fact, I ran into my old partner last night at a restaurant. He bought me a drink.

Besides, telling them off when they provided you with steady income is rude, IMO.

ScottieK
Old 12-22-2005, 01:36 PM

basically, what they said. Never burn a bridge.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:37 PM

yes, tell them youre leaving and tell them what your last day will be.

the letter just seals it in writing so it's on paper. ive never put a reason in mine. i just put something to the effect of

"my last day will be X. i wish all the best to my colleagues. it was a pleasure working here."

bwana
Old 12-22-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1-2 weeks usually.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know this is standard, but depending on the nature of your work, this may not be nearly sufficient enough for them

One of my co-workers recently left to take another job, she gave 3 weeks notice, and my boss, who is usually totally chill about everything, was not pleased at all. We work in academic research, and this person was in charge of several projects that I have now been left to take over. But the transition was not / is not completely smooth and basically I have no idea what the [censored] is going on with half of what I'm doing now.

I don't mind, basically as long as everyone understands why I'm fumbling around with everything then I don't really care, but our boss really took it as a personal offense that she would not have given her more notice about her departure.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:45 PM

The standard is:

Date

Your Boss:

I regret to inform you that I hereby resign my position as blah blah blah. I expect my last day to be last day.

Best Wishes,
Me

You sit down with your boss (schedule an appointment if necessary) and tell him with your letter in hand.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:48 PM

I thought it was 3 weeks notice