Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 09-18-2005, 02:34 AM

Default Foxwoods trip report... longish

Spent the day at Foxwoods playing their "Act" STTs, which are like Party steps. (There are 3 Acts, with the 3rd winning a seat into the 10k WPT event at Foxwoods.)

$60 gets you into an Act 1 with t1000, and 15 minute blinds starting at 25/25. It's certainly not an ideal structure, as the dealers there suck, and everybody thinks it's the god damned final table of the main event, so they take forever. We averaged about 7 hands per level, which is lame.

First tourney: The mega-tanned 70-year-old submarine-veteran with skin like leather (on my right) picks up aces twice and doubles through in L1. Yeow.

I fold all the way to level 3, when I find AA UTG. Figuring that if I raise, people will run for the hills, I limp instead, planning for a limp/reraise. Of course, this doesn't happen, and 4 people decide to limp behind me. SB folds, so we are 5-handed to the flop. (Note to self: You are so goddamned stupid sometimes.)

Flop is AKJ, and I bet the pot. I get one caller, who I put on a weak ace, or something like JT. (Whatever it is, he wants to play.) Turn is a 2. I make a 1/3 pot probe bet, and he calls. River is an 8. At this point, I figure I will check, feigning a missed draw, and hope he bluffs at the pot. If he has QT, so be it. He checks behind, I table my cards, he says "jesus christ!" and he throws his cards into the muck. Sweet. I have no idea WTF he had.

Anyway, we end up 4-handed L4 and I am the 2nd stack. Shorty pushes into me, and I find KK. I push over the top, and he tables ATs. "Here comes the suckout." I say. Sure enough, he turns a flush, and I am crippled. I try to steal my way back into contention, but the BB woke up with AT and I was eliminated.

I don't remember much about the next 3 tourneys because I didn't take any notes on them. I do know that the blinds and fast levels made it imperative to get a healthy stack by L4. This usually required some gamb00ling, and I just couldn't get lucky. My AK ran into KK in one, and my AQ fell to TT in another. Needless to say, I didn't win any.

So, at this point I was down $240 and feeling pretty bummed. I decide I am not playing my best, and decide to go reset my brain by playing roulette.

Heh. Roulette is so terrible. It's like the old science films of the rats in a cage, pushing the button to get cocaine. push-push-*coke*-push-push-*coke*

I throw a hundo on the felt and get 100 single chips. I use a betting system that I read about a long time ago that will allegedly make your money last longer than any other way of playing. All I can say is that I must be in the + side of variance, because it seems to work whenever I do it. (I think it's called "Crazy 8" but I am not sure. You basiclaly bet the same 8 numbers until one hits. If it hits, you change to new numbers. If 4 spins go by with no hits, you change to another set too.)

Well, about 30 minutes later I am up $500, so I decide to cash out and head back to the poker room.

I sign up for an Act 2 ($225), an Act 1, and a double shootout ($120), planning to play whichever opens up first.

I end up in Act 1. There was this CRAZY old guy, with like *zero* teeth, and a discman with ONE headphone. (the other was broken off the band, and he kept it in his chest pocket.) I felt bad for the guy, because clearly he is older than dirt, blind as a bat, and deaf to boot.

The very first hand, he is UTG, and pops it to 250. (That's 10x BB.) We all fold, and I think "Oh jesus. This ought to be fun."

Second hand, 4 limpers, and he raises to 300 from the BB. Everyone folds. Heh.

Anyway, this guy is always asking assloads of questions because he CAN'T HEAR A [censored] THING ANYWAY **AND** HE IS WEARING A GOD DAMNED DISCMAN. I mean, he was a nice enough guy, and god bless his soul, I think he was there just for the company, but when you have 15-minute blinds, I really don't appreciate him calling raises, then pulling them back when someone tells him that he hasn't put enough in. (This results in a floorperson being called over, and subsequent shouting match.)

Tick tock! The blinds keep climbing!

Old guy gets broke, and I manage to run up a solid stack, and we are 4-handed, L4. Here is the hand that broke me, and I am still kicking myself for it.

Blinds: 100/200

Appx chip counts. Top 2 advance to next step:

UTG: t4000
Button: t2100
SB: t1100
Hero: t2800

Dealt to hero: KhTh

UTG Folds. Button calls. SB calls. Hero checks.
(I should of raised here. I never allow limpers on my BB online, and I shouldn't do it in real life either.)

Flop is QdJh8c

SB checks. Pot is 600, and I bet the pot, making it t1200. Button pushes his 1900 into the pot, making it 3100 total, and 1900 for me to call...

Which I DO?!??!
WTF!?
WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY?

I table my KQ shpowing the OESD, and villain tables T8. (Gonzo push, IMO, but a stupid call on my part.)

I get no help, and I decide to call it a day.

Naturally, I come home, and fire up a 55, and immediately proceed to have my set of jacks cracked by two nines that rivered a straight. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyway, that's about it. I am still pretty amped from the day of play, so I am finding it hard to sleep...

On a related note: All of the guys that wore sunglasses never made it past L3. Oh, and there was some guy that looking like a miniature Fossilman, with the same glasses, and a WPT hat. He seemed OK, but it was kind of sad to see him so blatantly trying to make people think he was Raymer.

One more thing. In a live game, if you are going to raise, BE SURE YOU SAY RAISE. I pissed off this one guy by taking half his stack, and then on the next hand found TT in LP. There were 4 limpers, and I pushed my chips in without saying "raise", and the little steaming douchebag goes "THAT'S A CALL! THAT'S A CALL!" So, everyone gets to see the flop for cheap, which is something like 345h. I make a feeble stab at the pot, and the BB pushes. I fold and he shows me a flopped straight.

Heh. Mea culpa.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:23 AM

Default Re: Foxwoods trip report... longish

[ QUOTE ]
I pushed my chips in without saying "raise"

[/ QUOTE ]

If you pushed in with 1 motion, this is a raise. You don't have to say it.

That being said, you are right that always saying "raise" is a good policy.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually think he was right on this. The BB was 25, and I only pushed a single brown in. (t100)

(I meant "chip", sorry.)
Old 09-18-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually think he was right on this. The BB was 25, and I only pushed a single brown in. (t100)

(I meant "chip", sorry.)

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case its a call - ive been caught out on this before.

Good practice is to announce what your raising it up to, ie, "Raise to 100".

I almost got into a full on argument in a tourney when some guy on my immediate left was clearly annoyed with my constant raising that the one time i didnt announce my raise he tried to claim it was a string bet (depsite me putting in one stack of chips in one motion, however i had dropped them from an inch above the felt). I hate people who try to angle shoot situations like that.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:37 AM

please shove the aces river, they will call with crap.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:28 PM

Don't kick yourself too hard on the KT hand. You'd be bragging if you caught.

Now, what about the waitresses and the service, etc? We want pics, names and dimensions darnit. Excellent report! Thanks for the read.

Shlacka
Old 09-18-2005, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't kick yourself too hard on the KT hand. You'd be bragging if you caught.

Now, what about the waitresses and the service, etc? We want pics, names and dimensions darnit. Excellent report! Thanks for the read.

Shlacka

[/ QUOTE ]

Never been to Foxwoods, I take it? Imagine a bunch of hairy dudes with bleached blonde hair, and you are 90% of the way there.

*shudder*