Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2005, 10:24 PM

Default American national anthem at WSOP main event???

I'm about two months too late with this post, but is it really true that the Main Event of the World Series of Poker was started with a singing of the American national anthem?

It seems incredibly inappropriate for a supposedly international event (World != America) whatever country it's held in. And how did non-US participants react?

I don't like to go to other countries and behave in a manner to cause offence so I probably would've quietly slipped outside. But how +EV and tilt-inducing would it be to simply ignore everyone standing up singing and mutter anti-American slogans?
Old 09-17-2005, 10:41 PM

Default Re: American national anthem at WSOP main event???

[ QUOTE ]
It seems incredibly inappropriate for a supposedly international event

[/ QUOTE ]

Valid point. The rendition in question wasn't especially appropriate for any venue. (Phil Gordon included the whole thing in that day's podcast, for some reason.) I seem to recall the singer being someone of significance to the poker community...probably volunteered and no one had the good sense to turn her down. I imagine most of the offense would have been cancelled by the "banging your head against a brick wall" effect (it feels so good when you stop).
Old 09-17-2005, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm about two months too late with this post, but is it really true that the Main Event of the World Series of Poker was started with a singing of the American national anthem?

It seems incredibly inappropriate for a supposedly international event (World != America) whatever country it's held in. And how did non-US participants react?

I don't like to go to other countries and behave in a manner to cause offence so I probably would've quietly slipped outside. But how +EV and tilt-inducing would it be to simply ignore everyone standing up singing and mutter anti-American slogans?

[/ QUOTE ]

How +EV would it be as you were carted off to the hospital after my big ass knocked all of your teeth out? You're in America, DEAL WITH IT!!! If I was in Canada I wouldn't care one bit standing up for a few minutes, whoopie.....
Old 09-17-2005, 11:02 PM

I don't remember this happening for some reason.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? Baseball and basketball are both very international and they both have the national anthem. I don't recall anyone reacting in any way.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:31 PM

it was before the beginning of the final table.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How +EV would it be as you were carted off to the hospital after my big ass knocked all of your teeth out? You're in America, DEAL WITH IT!!! If I was in Canada I wouldn't care one bit standing up for a few minutes, whoopie.....

[/ QUOTE ]

See? You're on tilt already after just reading a post. When I'm prancing around outside the tournament hall, wearing my OBL mask, burning the Stars and Stripes, and waving placards condemning the US I'm going to have 95% of players desperate to bust me. It's probably a good way to get an insight of what it feels like to be Hellmuth.

Relax. I wasnt being serious. I like visiting America and I already said that I'm naturally a polite person who wouldnt dream of deliberately causing offence. BUT I still don't like the principle of a national anthem being sung [I didnt know it was some famous singer leading it] at a supposedly international event. If I'd visited a domestic sports (or any other) event and the national anthem had been sung I wouldnt have the slightest problem in standing up and mouthing some words anonymously. I'll even wave a little flag if you like.

I was just hypothetically musing that IF someone had the balls to refuse to go along with it at the WSOP they could possibly gain an edge.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it was before the beginning of the final table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the clarification. I obviously wasnt concentrating when I read it. But that seems even stranger to me, especially as three of the final nine werent Americans.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:42 AM

cry more
Old 09-18-2005, 02:50 AM

Why don't you call the Australian Open and ask them why they insist on offending all the international visitors with "Waltzing Matilda"?

If I was at an event in Botswana and they started off with the Botswana national anthem it would never occur to me to be offended. Because I'm in Botswana!

I really don't understand how someone can be offended by this. When in Rome, you may hear people singing in Italian.