Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 03:48 AM

Default responding to insults at the table

What do you do if a TAA berates you on your play?

Yes, if a fish does it, you shrug your shoulders and let it slide, but if there's a guy at the table who you actually don't want sitting there and he insults you on your play...

... particularly if he didn't play the hand well either. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I don't know, I feel a need to lash out at him in this case. It's a personal need, and should probably not be indulged, but I feel like doing it. Of course, some stipulations apply:

1) never berate his play while doing this
2) never make it personal (like insulting him for a lisp or something, anything that's about HIM)
3) make some sort of generic I-Don't-Like-You insult instead: "Eat Sh-" is a good one, for example. It gets the point across without being too nasty.

A funnier way of doing it would be "Really? Oh. Eat Sh-" or something to that effect. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

So a few questions:

1) I have a general idea that this is probably a very bad idea. Do you agree?

2) Would I get kicked out for doing something like this?

---

Also, in middle limits, where you really do want the sharky regulars to stick around, in order to ensure game survivability, I suggest a simple, "Nice hand." would suffice.

Maybe telling them to mind their manners would be good...

I don't know... how do you guys respond to "aggro" (as the brits call it).
Old 09-12-2005, 06:20 AM

Default Re: responding to insults at the table

Talk smack back you will find if a guy makes the game personal he will call down way to many obvious losing hands. That if he was thinking rationally he wouldn't bother....... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Fight, fire with fire.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know... how do you guys respond to "aggro" (as the brits call it).

[/ QUOTE ]

I would never be insulting to another play, e.g. telling them to "eat sh**". Thats just plain bad. If someone wants to be an [censored] at the table, it doesnt mean you have to join them. A profitable table is a happy table, and remember that there are 8 other players at the table.

Best way to stick up for yourself to be totally uneffected by them, or even better ignore them. I may occasionally let out a big yawn in their direction, but thats about it. They will get the message eventually, and quiten up, or even move table.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:38 AM

If a guy is going to call me down ace high or better yet K high great. Now don't get in pissing matches with the passive players or donaters. But guys like this are generally the type who can't handle the swings of live poker to begin with, thus are easy to push over the edge......
Old 09-12-2005, 07:02 AM

what did five fingers say to the face?
Old 09-12-2005, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Eat Sh-" is a good one, for example. It gets the point across without being too nasty.

[/ QUOTE ]

In some civilized parts of the world, saying "Eat Sh__" would be considered pretty nasty.

Personally, I just invite the other player to win his chips back... or tell him that you didn't hear him and he should repeat what he said after you finish stacking his chips.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:47 AM

My standard response:

"I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you I was stacking your chips."

For the rest of the night any time anyone wins a pot agianst this person I say:

"Aw look, now he's stacking your chips"

This really pisses em off and has the added benifit of possibly putting them on tilt.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:58 AM

doesn't matter who sits down and makes fun of you - as much as you don't want him/her at the table it is bad in general for the table to bring a negative attitude. People who sit and lose want to have fun. Starting anything close to an argument is -EV.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:03 AM

Depends on HOW he's insulting you. If he's just telling you that you did something wrong, I like to ask him what he means, as if I'm a total fish. Say, "What did I do wrong?" and hear him out...act like a beginner who just wants to learn. Two advantages: 1.makes him (and everyonbe else) think yr a N00b 2. lets you know how he plays...
Plus others might chime in too, more free info. You don't have to ham it up, just be kind of sorry that you "screwed up" or whatever. Your pride is nothing, let it go. Plus, it keeps the table friendly and light, and even if you can piss him off into playing badly, he'll play a lot worse if he thinks he's "educated" you.

Now, if he's not being a nit, and he's just straight up insulting you...think: "WWACjrD?"

Answer: KHITNutzzzz.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"WWACjrD?"

[/ QUOTE ]

haha... I'm going to start carrying my keys around on a lanyard with THAT embroidered on it.