Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-01-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Re: HU SnGs

[ QUOTE ]
ok, we'll start with this. define a good first bet. 2.5x, 3x, 4x, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

All of the above.

In HU play there are no easy cookie cutter type answers.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:43 PM

A general rule of betting is bet the minimum necessary to get your opponent(s) to fold when you want them to fold, and the maximum possible that your opponent(s) will call when you want them to call. However, against better opponents you have to either mix up these two sorts of bets or, easier, you can just open for a standard amount (2.5 or 3x the BB).
Old 11-01-2005, 02:46 PM

Dude, use the search function. Please. PLEASE!!!
Old 11-01-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so essentially, play tight early, then pushbot late?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. This structure is *completely* different from normal STT structure.

These things are almost entirely about your opponent and his/her cards and tendencies. It has much less to do with 'oh this hand I can push 3 off of the button with 5xBB in any situation' type of thinking. There cannot be any 'rules' for deepish stacked HU play. I have noticed that players who excel in several different structure of hold 'em are often huge monsters at HU play without playing too much of it at all. So there is obviously some sort of transferrable skill set going on or something.

You should play a few of the trout thingies....I'd imagine that would be great experience.

Yugoslav
Old 11-01-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should play a few of the trout thingies....I'd imagine that would be great experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless this is happening at Pokerroom, my mac won't be joining [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2005, 08:00 PM

I have been playing a lot of these on Stars, listen to everyone here who is saying there is no formula ala beating the 10+1 SNG's. You have to probe early on and try to get a read on your opponent's tendencies - and everyone plays a bit different. In the long run, you'll get the same amount of cards as your opponent, so you must find consistent ways to 'steal' away more than your fair share of chips.
This could be a key reraise when you know you've trapped him into bluffing at the board, or just raising 3x the big blind very aggressively against a tight passive player. To me, these are about 25% cards and 75% psychology.