Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 09-10-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Benching your own weight once

I can pretty easily bench my own weight, but then again I only way 135 lbs. so it's not really very impressive.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The truly elite feat is a 3X bodyweight bench but that is usually only seen from competitive lifters and may be what you are thinking of.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-10-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
by the way, people who can't make any statement without going to extremes (for whom "there is absolutely no way" is used in place of "i doubt highly") are annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do agree with you in principle, but aren't you doing that same thing by saying people who "can't make any statement without going to extremes" are annoying? I supppose that there could be some people who can't make any statement without going to extremes (and they certainly would be annoying), but I doubt it. I would guess that everyone at least occasionally makes a statement that is not extreme. Shouldn't you have instead said that people who almost never make a statement that is not extreme are annoying? Otherwise I think that you're probably left with no one who is annoying based on this principle.

Will

P.S. I only ever lifted recreationally (i.e. about three times a week for 1-2 hours) and haven't even done that in about 4 months, and I would bet my life, my wife, and my bankroll that I could still bench my body weight (5'8", 165 lbs).
Old 09-10-2005, 02:30 PM

doing your weight in dumbbells might take a year, but bar should be a couple months depending on how heavy you start.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The truly elite feat is a 2X bodyweight bench but that is usually only seen from competitive lifters and may be what you are thinking of.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a hard time believing this is really that elite. My senior year in high school, after having only trained in the gym six months, I benched over twice my weight. (I weighed 180 and benched 2 reps of 375.) I was on a hardcore lifting routine for wrestling season, but if I was able to do it with less than 6 mos training, I can't imagine it's all that elite.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were a wrestler, your standards for "elite" are going to be a little higher than the average human's.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:10 PM

Back when I was only 185 pounds I could bench 310...Now I weight 215 and havent worked out much since then and could prolly get up about 265-275 I would hope.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is absolutely no way Lance Armstrong can dunk a basketball. Percentage wise, almost no one under six feet tall can dunk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am 5'10 1/2 and could dunk a basketball in high school...
Old 09-10-2005, 06:13 PM

I was a wrestler, and I understand what you're saying. And yes, I did go way beyond what most people do in lifting routines. (I had a former professional body-builder training me.) But still. I have a hard time imagining that I did anything really all that "elite" with less than 6 mos training.

Oh, and to those of you who think that because Lance Armstrong's legs are so strong that he can probably dunk: no. It doesn't work that way.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am 5'10 1/2 and could dunk a basketball in high school...

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but you're a douche bag.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:38 PM

FWIW I have what appears to be a similar build to you (6'2, 205) and it took me about 7 months to go from benching 115 three times to benching 220 twice. I worked chest once a week with a training partner that really knew what he was doing, with a couple breaks for injuries (4 weeks off total for a back injury). It's definitely within reach.

A fair bit of it though is getting really, really solid technique down pat. After that the weight comes on quickly.

-Diplomat