Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2005, 03:53 AM

Default I want to try something I haven\'t seen yet (network question)

So I got a new computer (HP media center) that's got a ton of processing power; Pentium 4, 1 gig RAM, 160 gig 7200 RPM HD, but I don't want to give up the old box. My question is this -

Can I use the old box to host PT? Sounds simple enough right? I have networked the 2 comps, but need directions on how to 'run' PT on the new box while it's hosted on the old box. I guess it's like a server set-up. I tried simply sharing the entire PT folder and opening from the new box, but it gave me a 'can't find DB' error.

I'm also assuming that I would have to share the HH files and point to them so PT could find them across the network.

Is it possible to host programs on one box, and run them from the other (Outlook, PT, etc.)

The new comp's video card does not have a DVI out. Standard monitor jack, and S vid. I'm gonna have to swap out the dual monitor card in the old box, and once I do, I don't plan on having a monitor connected to it. (Unless I go 'TILT' style and run 2 boxes, 2 monitors, and 2 mice!)

Also I need a dvd codec, but that's another story.

If you can give me some advice, or point me to a site I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Nate