Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 11:44 AM

Default Overrated Hands... Opinion on Flushes

Sorry if I missed previous posts on this, but trying to put flush into the search function comes out with too much. Been only playing online for a few months but between the play and reading this board all week while at work I feel I have learned a ton.
Is there anyone else out there who hates flushes? Everything about them.... when I started playing I was in on every Ax suited and Kx suited, now I am down to like 6 or seven combos and play my suited connectors more for the straight then the flush.
Seems like straights can pull down big hands and flushes really do not.
I play very straight forward, riding my good hands for all they are worth, but this doesn't work with flushes. As soon as someone sees three diamonds on the board and a person puts out a bet, the table goes silent. Anyone have any good suggestion on how to play made flushes, two suited cards preflop, etc. Does anyone use this lack of action on a 3 of one suit board to their advantage and take down a lot of pots?
Thanks.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Overrated Hands... Opinion on Flushes

If you never get action when you make a flush, you might as well represent one every time there's three to a suit on the board.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:59 AM

Agreed, and that is what I have been doing with anything up to third pair, but I may add hands where the flop totally misses as well.
Ghaz, I am assuming a pot sized bet and fold to any re- raises (which are rare), right?
Old 06-27-2005, 12:05 PM

It depends a lot on what sorts of bet sizes you've been making with other hands. I usually won't bet more than 2/3 pot on the turn regardless of what I have. It also depends on stack sizes as you don't want to put yourself in a position to have to call an all-in raise just because of pot odds if you could've avoided it by making a different sized bet.

At low stakes, if you bet representing a flush and get raised, the raiser almost always has the flush himself and you should fold.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:14 PM

That makes sense, usually these are the pots that are like 6-10x BB (I play .25/.50) so like $3-$5, I bet the pot and it someone comes over the top I can get away pretty easy. If I bet $5 into a $5 pot that I normally would not win, I only need to be >50% right to make it worth it (and like I said these guys fold just about anything in these situations)
My flop bet is always the pot (give or take a few %).