Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 06:13 PM

Default quads

I know there were some posts a few months ago dealing with hands like these, but I was not able to find them

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Button ($54.90)
SB ($119.28)
BB ($88.35)
UTG ($96.48)
Hero ($99.95)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls $1, Hero calls $1, Button calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">SB (poster) raises to $5.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls $5, Button calls $5.

Flop: ($20) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $35</font>

Basically my approach here is to play it exactly as if I had flopped a set. Do you think that is the right line to take?

Thanks
Old 11-09-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Re: quads

If you play like you flopped trips and succeed he will Only play with you if he has 33.

...So I hope you are ironic.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:17 PM

I wouldn't get aggressive just yet. You don't want to fold out small overpairs. Give another free card, and raise the turn.

P.S. someone bet $200 (pot = 85) into me yesterday when I turned quads because of a big fold I made a few hands before [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2005, 06:19 PM

unless if you are known for raising with a flush draw here, smoothcall is infinitely better.

you'll get his money if he has 33 regardless of what line you take so try to make a bit more when he has all those other hands.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:19 PM

No, not at all.

Big raise from the blinds screams of TT+, and I don't think those hands are folding here. If I were in the villain's shoes I would be much more worried by a cold call.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Basically my approach here is to play it exactly as if I had flopped a set. Do you think that is the right line to take?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, because the deck is crippled. When you flop a set there is a much better chance that villain has some sort of hand (TPTK, 2-pr, worse set, nut flush draw). Here only 33 and maybe AA-QQ play along. You are lucky that villain wants to aggressively lead the betting. Let him hang himself. At the rate he is going he will put you all in on the river.

Usually you get checked on the flop and turn, with villain folding to your turn bet.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:21 PM

Ok, but in your first reasoning you Wanted to represent (make him think!) you have trips.

EDIT: Rereaded the first post, you wanted to play AS YOU should had if you flopped a set. Point taken. You played the hand pretty much ok even if I think smooth call is a better option.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. someone bet $200 (pot = 85) into me yesterday when I turned quads because of a big fold I made a few hands before [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Dont let the opponent know when you laid down a big hand.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:23 PM

Villain most likely has an overpair, and if you're too aggressive, you'll scare him away. And unless you've already got a highly aggressive image here, representing trips will do just that.

So I'd pull the WA/WB line - check/call, check/call, bet. You're trying to get him to put the most possible in before he realizes you've flopped a monster. Of course, if he suddenly gets hyper aggressive or raises your river bet, you can happily push.

BTW - the best I've been able to do with flopped quads is get half a stack from villain. Flopped quads are just too obvious. Turned or rivered quads is a much different story.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:23 PM

33?

No, I do not think that is not one of the hands in his range. I am putting him on overpair here (which he has to have if I am going to make any money here at all). So, if you have AA/KK/QQ what sets off more sirens - the cold call or the raise?