Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 03:07 AM

Default Re: Hand to Talk About

This one time I bluffed someone and it worked.

Standard?
Old 06-06-2005, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
laughing at pokerjo groupies

[/ QUOTE ]
nh
Old 06-06-2005, 05:57 AM

Hi Guy:

One thing that I do in hands that only feature a couple of players is to trap more than many of my opponents. Thus I will frequently call a bettor on the flop when I have a moderately strong hand that others will usually raise with if there is not anyone to knock out.

In a short handed situation, which differs from what I'm describing above in the sense that above everyone should have a pretty good starting hand as opposed to "steal" type hands, I switch my strategy and frequently raise light. However, many of my opponents don't know this but do remember my trapping in what looks to them like a similar spot (but in reality it's not). So I'm not really taking advantage of a tight image even though that may play a role. I'm taking advantage of a misconception they may have formed about my play.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 06-06-2005, 06:02 AM

Hi jgorham:

Yours is a very good analysis.

One point to make is that against someone who will raise with all his hands, and if there was no betting from the flop on, it would make sense to call in this spot with any two cards since I'm getting 3-to-1 (not 5-to-1 as you wrote).

However, even the loose aggressives will fold their weakest hands, and the betting from the flop on can be to my disadvantageous with my poorest starting hands, so I should probably still fold my worst hands. However, seven-six offsuit is still an easy call.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 06-06-2005, 06:05 AM

Hi Marnixvdb:

You wrote:

[ QUOTE ]
The check seems to indicate he is ready to give up.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a very good observation. If I raise the flop, his check won't contain as much information.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 06-06-2005, 06:08 AM

Hi jetsonsdogcanfly:

I disagree. The four outs to the straight make all the difference in the world. That's because if I make a pair on the turn I may have drawn out, but is this enough to make me call? Having a little something else adds enough value to make my hand playable.

Best wishes,
mason
Old 06-06-2005, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll be ok if Mason never posts another hand, considering they're usually just as gay as this one.

Just because he's credited with a few poker books doesn't mean he's actually contributing to 2+2 like Tommy, Clarkmeister, and the other great posters.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're out of line.

-Barron
Old 06-06-2005, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

how often is this LAG really going to check/fold the turn??

[/ QUOTE ]

On that board, quite often, especially after a smooth call n the flop.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One point to make is that against someone who will raise with all his hands, and if there was no betting from the flop on, it would make sense to call in this spot with any two cards since I'm getting 3-to-1 (not 5-to-1 as you wrote).

[/ QUOTE ]
Dear Mason, to count the odds you're recieving on the flop you need to take the bets going into the pot preflop and add the bet SB puts in on the flop. In this case this equation will result in 5 small bets. When you then decide whether or not to call you need to take the pot size on the flop (5 small bets) in relation to the number of small bets you need to put in the pot to call (1 small bet). In this case 5-to-1.

Best wishes,
Pharity
Old 06-06-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Dear Mason, to count the odds you're recieving on the flop you need to take the bets going into the pot preflop and add the bet SB puts in on the flop. In this case this equation will result in 5 small bets. When you then decide whether or not to call you need to take the pot size on the flop (5 small bets) in relation to the number of small bets you need to put in the pot to call (1 small bet). In this case 5-to-1.

Best wishes,
Pharity

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and the betting from the flop on

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
seven-six offsuit is still an easy call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Seems pretty obvious he is talking about preflop. Nice attitude, though.