Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2005, 03:48 PM

Default NBC Headsup Poker Championship

Noticed a few promos this tournament scheduled for March. Supposedly, the 64 of the top players will compete in a March Madness type tournament. All one on one matches.

Thoughts? I kinda like the idea. Should be a good lesson on how these guys think about headsup play.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: NBC Headsup Poker Championship

I think it's going to be a joke. The number of hands they will show on tv in relation to the tournament will be totally ridiculous because they will spend at least 1/2 of the show on those stupid little featurettes, like Doyle Brunson on a Sea Doo.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:17 PM

Instead of just criticizing it with little to no information, perhaps you should inform yourself before making a comment....
There is going to be at least 5 hours (maybe more) of coverage on NBC covering 63 matches. The WSOP main event got about the same coverage and there were 2,576 people and lots of horrible vignettes like "The Nuts"

Impossible to criticize on this basis before seeing it. Was looking for discussion on the idea of the tournament and how it will play out.

Will it be the live coverage
Old 02-07-2005, 05:41 PM

The tournament will occur early March at the Golden Nugget, there is a web site with the info can be found here

Kevin...
Old 02-07-2005, 05:49 PM

Your link is not right -

It is this - NBC National Headsup Poker Championship
Old 02-07-2005, 05:57 PM

Just curious - and maybe Greg could answer since he seems to already be in.

Is their an entry fee? or is NBC picking up the tab? It looks like there is rougly $1.4 Million up for grabs.

That would be over $20,000 per entry.

So is NBC funding the whole thing? is it a split - like $5,000 to get in, and NBC adds to the pool? or is each player paying the full amount?
Old 02-07-2005, 06:09 PM

I believe there is a 20K buyin. Not sure where the rest of the money comes from.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:35 PM

Yes, the buyin is 20K, but PokerStars is happy to pay it for me, as this show will allow the players to wear logos. The rest of the money will be added by the producers.

I suspect, given the nature of heads-up poker, and the fact that these matches probably won't be structured to potentially last for hours, it will actually make all of us look at least somewhat fishy. Oh well, I just hope it makes me some money and gets me some good airtime. I'd hate to go broke in 1 hand and get nothing else on TV. ;-)

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 02-07-2005, 07:36 PM

Doesnt this thing appear to be just a farce for TV poker tournament? The players get a whole HOUR and 15 minutes of playing time before one or the other is eliminated (assuming it is by # of chips), it just seems ridiculous.

Yes, hands do go faster when playing HU, but an hour-ish is just ridiculous IMHO.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesnt this thing appear to be just a farce for TV poker tournament? The players get a whole HOUR and 15 minutes of playing time before one or the other is eliminated (assuming it is by # of chips), it just seems ridiculous.

Yes, hands do go faster when playing HU, but an hour-ish is just ridiculous IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you get this 1 hour 15 minute figure from? Are you inventing this number?