Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2005, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Given the choice of $$ or seat.....

[ QUOTE ]

1. Play with best

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't get knocked out by a table of satellite winners on your first day.

[ QUOTE ]

2. Chance at being known as the best

[/ QUOTE ]

I consider neither Moneymaker or Fossilman as the best.

[ QUOTE ]

3. Be on TV

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you get very deep, or are in a side shot recap of one of the more famous players.

[ QUOTE ]

4. Chance to be set for life

[/ QUOTE ]

... good point

[ QUOTE ]

5. Have people on 2+2 tell you how dumb and lucky you are

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't need 2+2 to validate me.

Well, looking over the EV of these points ... I would still take the money.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:31 PM

To clarify my response to fit the question. I'm only going to play a satelite if I intend on playing in the main event. I will most likely play a satelite or 2. Of course for the past 6 weeks I have won a seat in the stars 250k or 500k and have yet to play in one, so take it for what it is worth.

I know the thread got hijacked originally by a spammer who said his site will give the option, but the big ones are not going to do this as it just does not make any sense for them from a marketing standpoint. They want as many horse in the race as possible. As it gets closer I'll start another "who here is going to play" thread as it seems to have been lucky for Greg, maybe it'll help one of you also.

-sloth
Old 02-03-2005, 07:01 PM

I take the seat because that is why I would play such a tourney in the first place.

Frenchie
Old 02-03-2005, 08:20 PM

lol, my thoughts exactly frenchie... Was kind of wondering why nobody else asked themselves that question.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:05 PM

I'd go and it wouldn't be close. As the banner ads say "Greg Raymer turned $160...". So assuming I've only fronted $160 - I have a choice between an unforgettable experience (and let's not forget the missus), incredible bragging rights and the 2+2 location of "1765th in the 2005 WSOP" or a miniscule increase in my lifetime earnings that's frittered away in the inconsequential inanities of life. Life's too short, you've got to live & dream a little. Not...even...close.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:47 PM

Why not have a little of both? If you have friends that like to gamble, why not offer pieces of your action for a few hundred a pop so you get some money up front and get to play the WSOP. Actually both Raymer and MM sold at least some of their action, although I'm not sure of the specifics.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:08 PM

Something to keep in mind most of the promotions that will land you a seat, have non transferable seats. If for example you win a sat on Absolute Poker, you are playing or passing, no selling. Most of the B&M promotions are the same, win it you play it or forfit it.

Now almost all of the them... Win two and you can sell or cash the second seat... Which in and of its self could be a good +EV situation with all the people getting lottery ideas about the main and dumping money all over the place trying to get a seat.

The WSOP policy is no transfers/sales either. You pay, you play or dont, no one else can play it for you, i.e. proxy sale.

So if you are playing in sats thinking that you are going to sell the seat, most sites are not going to let that happen. So if you want to invest a few bucks, play, hit lighting in a bottle and win a seat, go and enjoy the experience. But if you can honestly say to yourself "I can win any tournament I enter", then by all means put your money up and get there, worst case you will have a 1/6600 change of hitting it big.

Now if some of these sites would start setting up sats for the other ~35 events, now that would be interesting! Personally I intend to play #16, and if I can get a cheap main seat, I will go enjoy the experience of the "big one" too. But I am not going to start playing every super sat for a main seat, $5-$25 bucks with some cash to be won at the final table, sure when the ideas strikes me right I will play it, or if by my regular play sets me up for one, great. Otherwise by roll goes to more positive EV situations.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is interesting no one said they would take the seat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I took the seat.

While the thread has been a hypothetical discussion, I actually had to make this very decision recently. I won an entry to the EPT finals in Monte Carlo worth $16,500. Although PokerStars does not give you the option of taking cash instead, I can transfer the package and have had several offers of cash. I am a small stakes on line player, and I realize only too well that my chances in Monte Carlo are slim. But I want to go for all the reasons that PokerGenius mentioned.

Hey, its an experience!

Suerte,
Jonathan

ps. Monte Carlo is filled with beautiful and rich ladies. So if I lose at the tables, who knows...I might win elsewhere! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2005, 10:37 AM

Default Best response IMO

Actually, I love this idea. Although I'm not sure how much "backing" I could muster. I'd happily play in "the big one" while really owning only 10-20% of myself.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:43 AM

I think this is a compromise I could live with.

Unlike a few other posters here, I don't play for recognition, I don't play for thrill and I don't play the long shot (example: I never have nor ever will buy a lottery ticket). But, I do play sattelites for both the entry they offer (often selling it/deregistering if the stakes are too high or competition is too tough) and the experience of MTT'ng. Now, if I did decide to play in a WSOP sat, since you cannot sell/transfer the seat (according to popular wisdom) I like the idea of selling pieces of yourself to your gambling buddies. This way, everyone wins if you win (wouldn't it be nice if you AND 5 of your good friends were all millionairs?), and if you lose (which, considering the skill level AND luck needed to win, is pretty likely) - you still have some $$ to add to your bankroll/play side games.

Thanks for the suggestion - I may play a WSOP sat yet!