Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 04:07 AM

Default Huge draw. Huge hand. Check it?

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: elindauer is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">elindauer caps</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (13.66 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">elindauer bets</font>, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (8.33 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP3 checks...

What are you gonna do?
Old 04-11-2005, 04:41 AM

Default Re: Huge draw. Huge hand. Check it?

My initial reaction was bet, but after thinking about it for a few minutes I think checking behind is the best play.

PokerPrince
Old 04-11-2005, 04:51 AM

I definately think you should bet. If someone has a K, it is not certain that they will raise you. If they do, obviously you have a ton of outs. If they have two pairs or a lower set they'll probably call and pay you off for at least three bets if they hit a (lower) full on the river. If you get raised you still have 19 outs, meaning your odds are 25:19, ie. almost even. And you probably get paid for one bet on the river when you bet out.

You can't check-raise, obviously, and check-calling is just too weak with this strong a hand I think.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I definately think you should bet. If someone has a K, it is not certain that they will raise you. If they do, obviously you have a ton of outs. If they have two pairs or a lower set they'll probably call and pay you off for at least three bets if they hit a (lower) full on the river. If you get raised you still have 19 outs, meaning your odds are 25:19, ie. almost even. And you probably get paid for one bet on the river when you bet out.

You can't check-raise, obviously, and check-calling is just too weak with this strong a hand I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it hard to check raise and checkcall on the button

that said, I bet, and may have an equity situation where capping the turn, if both are in, is correct.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:15 AM

Why would you want to check it? I don't mind going two bets on the turn.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:42 AM

Bet Bet Bet Bet Bet.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:55 AM

Would anyone else agree that the best line is to bet, call a raise, and fold the river unimproved? If not raised, the river is an easy value bet of course.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My initial reaction was bet, but after thinking about it for a few minutes I think checking behind is the best play.

PokerPrince

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this logic. Hero is ahead a ton of the time here, and when he is check-raised, he has a ton of re-draws to the nuts with top set and the nut flush draw. You dont want to give a hand like A9 a free card here and then see an 8 come on the river.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:32 AM

You should check this turn - you have lots of outs, however if you do not get help on the river it is quite likely that you are beat (so if you bet the turn and get raised you will not like it too much) - check the flop and call the river.....
Old 04-11-2005, 10:02 AM

Be pretty silly to check and have a king come on the river, wouldn't it?

Or how about checking, the river is a 9, and you lose to some fish playing 83o?