Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2005, 01:22 AM

Default Re: The one bet river bluff

[ QUOTE ]
You check-called the flop, check called the turn. Now on the river (you have donk and you can't win a showdown), so you decide to lead bluff

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a line I often take when I put my opponent on a very iffy hand (one he won't call a raise with) to extract an extra bet out of him because they almost always call the river.

I do find the line of smooth calling the flop and leading the turn gets alot of folds, I guess they dont like the prospect of calling 2 big bets. Most times I likely have the best hand when I bet, but I dont see why it wouldnt work as a bluff. I have used it successfully as a semi-bluff a few times where I'm pretty sure I was beat though.

Maybe I'll try a few pre-planned bluffs using this line tonight under the right circumstances.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:21 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

the only time i used to do it live with any frequency would be if i had a straight draw and a flush showed up on the river. in general i think the thing to master is the "you know i have to bet this because i know you're checking through the river" thing. only works on chumlies too.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:59 AM

One of my friends (who plays for a living but does not post here) claims that this sequence reeks of a bluff.

IMO, the only way you'll be able to get it to work is if your opponent has seen you check-call check-call then bet out on the river with a hand like top pair.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The one bet river bluff works much more in a check-raise scenario against a decent player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then it's a two bet river bluff, isn't it? Clearly a bluff check-raise is more powerful than a bluff lead bet, but I think one of his goals with this play is to minimize the cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, because in a lot of these scenarios you would call to pick off a possible flush draw.
-James
Old 02-18-2005, 02:28 AM

repeat after me:

no one ever believes anyone has anything ever, so no one ever folds anything ever.

the more i repeat and believe that mantra the more...well im still broke.. but damnit im pretty sure it's right..

(edit: dont repeat that second part)
Old 02-18-2005, 03:56 AM

Rarely works. The problem is that your bluff lacks credibility. If you have such a great hand, why weren't you pushing it earlier?

It can occasionally work if the river was a significant card. If the river completed some draws, and you had a different draw which it missed, you can give it a try.

But if the river was a random offsuit deuce, forget it.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:02 PM

Default F$%# it

Well, I'm $60 dollars poorer.

I tried and twice. I got called by JJ once and raised the other time. That was an auto-raise too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I've played close to 30k hands in 3 days so I don't remember the details to well. I just thought you guys would like to know that I blew off sixty big ones. I'll dig the hands out of pokertracker tomorrow and you guys can critique my timing. I'm sure it was bad timing because my thought process was, "Oh, I've got to try a one bet river bluff, Sliiiiiiiiiiiiing!!!!!"
Old 02-18-2005, 02:05 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: F$%# it

i assumed this was going to be b&m. i think it's a pretty retarded move online.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:33 PM

There has to be a place for this, because when I bet my flushes, they do sometimes fold.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've played close to 30k hands in 3 days

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that right?