Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 06-03-2004, 12:16 AM

Default Re: QQ preflop, if raised before you?

I'm amazed at the many replies to re-raise. I most often just call in this spot.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:40 AM

split the diff and call sometimes and reraise sometimes. personally I call more often than reraise, but if you reraise you can overrepresent your hand whereas if you call you pretty much have to play for the set/overpair, and the overpair is of dubious value.

--turnipmonster
Old 06-03-2004, 08:24 AM

My first reply was a joke, calling is awful.

If i had AJ and raised, there's nothing more i'd love at getting a cheap shot at that ace.

If i JJ TT 99 and raised there's no more i love than not having to much more money in with the worst of it.

If i had AA KK there's nothing more i love than QQ just calling in it's stack.

Calling in poker for a good player is usually always always by far the worst option because when you call you are maxing you loses and mining your winnings. When you raise you are maxing your profits but then being a good player you are then adjusting your read based on the new information hence you'll be able to lower your losses too.

This is a very very easy reraise, anything a random player there's no way to argue caling is better. However you could probably find - or make up - a player in which calling is better against, yet those players are very very rare.

Old 06-03-2004, 12:07 PM

probably reraise (the amount depends on the stack sizes).

Hard to answer without knowing the stack sizes.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:58 AM

Default Re: Thanx for replies

Wow, I just checked back here and am surprised by the number of replies. Of course they dont all agree w/ each other [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Not surprising though, it is poker after all. I have tended towards calling in this situation, and occasionally re-raising, depending on read... some players are so tight thats its a clear call, some so loose its a clear re-raise, its those one's in between that I have been struggling with. I just wonder if I am giving too much away by calling and then folding too easily to overcards??? Anyway, the replies are food for thought.

Sly
Old 06-04-2004, 07:35 AM

I'd never call. If a player is 'too tight' meaning he only raises AA KK QQ AK you fold.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd never call. If a player is 'too tight' meaning he only raises AA KK QQ AK you fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

well id call if i had set odds clearly and hes too tight
Old 06-04-2004, 08:36 AM

Sly,

A quick question from you....some quick answers from me [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

You have several reasons you need to raise significantly here:

(1) You have position on him
(2) You have the 3rd best starting hand
(3) Raising makes the hand play easier, gives information
(4) Raising RULES! It rules man....

Josie Wales
Old 06-04-2004, 09:19 AM

I almost always reraise here, esp. in the 6Max games I play in where people are raising with almost any two cards. the only time I call with QQ is (like Jay said) when you have a specific read on an opponent and then calling is okay.

I said almost everytime bc there is a situation where I sometimes just call for better or worse. In a 9-10 handed game, if there is a raise from EP and two or three callers. I figure at that point that I am probably not dominatung all of the hands out there. In that kind of case I usually call, then CR big with an A or K less flop, which many times traps other players in between me and the raiser. And also has the nice result of getting JJ or 1010 move in on you on a ragged flop.

Comments welcome,

FsuPlayer