Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2004, 02:36 AM

Default Take the free card?

so this is a hypothetical question based off of a number of hands i've played and i'm wondering what the best move is here EV wise.

you are on the button with three players and you flop a flush draw there is a small bet (approx 1/3 of pot) from the second player and both you and the first player smooth call.
on the turn a true brick hits and both players check to you.
what is the best play here?
should i A.)take the free card and try to make my hand cheap but surrender any real chance at stealing the pot
or
B)make a decent size semi-bluff and risk the possible checkraise.

i have encountered this situation a number of times and i go back and forth between the two, with every possible outcome... i am just wondering what you guys think is the best play.
and i know that there is no one set answer for how to play a hand.....depends on stack size....type of player etc...however just looking for general thoughts and input.
thanks
Old 06-04-2004, 09:02 AM

Default Re: Take the free card?

[ QUOTE ]
you are on the button with three players and you flop a flush draw there is a small bet (approx 1/3 of pot) from the second player and both you and the first player smooth call. on the turn a true brick hits and both players check to you.what is the best play here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dependent upon the stack sizes, the play of the opponents I would choose my action.

You probably wont get much of a response to this question since the answer is quite dependent on (1) Player syle (2) Your read of their hands (3) Stack sizes (4) Preflop action

BUT....

From you limited information, I cannot imagine that either of them have much of a hand. I cant imagine them checking with an obvious flush draw on the board an three people in the pot. I would imagine they have little/nthing and a pot sized bet shoudl take it down. If not, you have outs.

Josie
Old 06-04-2004, 09:07 AM

Default Re: Take the free card?

I vary my play here depending on the opponents, but the better play usually to fire a near pot sized bet and hope to take it down. This play I believe is the semi-bluff at its best. If I have a fairly good read on the other villans, I may even fire another bullet at the pot on the river if one of them calls, but then misses the draw I think they are on.
Like Josie Wales said though, both of these plays are very opponent based, so knowing the other players helps out a great deal here.

FsuPlayer