Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-20-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Your Best Investment Ever

I was just thinking about a stock purchase i never made (goto.com in 2000). i talked and talked about how i needed to buy the stock, and i never pulled the trigger. i even wrote up a little report on the company/business and gave it to a few friends who subsequently bought the stock. it was a slam dunk and, due largely to laziness, i missed it.

So I can live through others who have actually pulled the trigger on something good...

What was your best investment ever? it can be a stock, or a home (though this is kind of boring), or a baseball card or an antique desk, whatever. return on ivestment as a percentage would be good to know, but dollar figures would be even better.

[I'm counting on you $16k warren buffet guys for some great answers]
Old 12-20-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Your Best Investment Ever

The $50 I put in Party [Censored].
Old 12-20-2005, 06:10 PM

Well aside from pok*r which I've had a 900% return on investment in my first year. That is also a time investment, not just money so I guess it's not the same.

The only other monetary investments I've made have been 401(k) started last year and has only gotten me about +3% thusfar, and a mutual fund I bought 6 years ago that has averaged a little over 2% over the last 6 years.

I suck at investing!
Old 12-20-2005, 06:11 PM

this is not a poker question, obviously. didn't think i would need to state that in OOT.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was just thinking about a stock purchase i never made (goto.com in 2000). i talked and talked about how i needed to buy the stock, and i never pulled the trigger. i even wrote up a little report on the company/business and gave it to a few friends who subsequently bought the stock. it was a slam dunk and, due largely to laziness, i missed it.

So I can live through others who have actually pulled the trigger on something good...

What was your best investment ever? it can be a stock, or a home (though this is kind of boring), or a baseball card or an antique desk, whatever. return on ivestment as a percentage would be good to know, but dollar figures would be even better.

[I'm counting on you $16k warren buffet guys for some great answers]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should also allow investments whose return is measured in utility.

For instance, my John Deere mower w/bagger was an awesome investment, from a utility standpoint. (just an example...jeez)

My money grip which has utility approaching infinite now, since I was able to rid myself of my Costanza wallet.

Financial investments:
I dabbled in daytrading for a while, and bought a 'penny stock' that increased in value over 1200% before I sold.
In 2 days.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:17 PM

What is the ticker for goto.com?
Old 12-20-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering the same thing. I was also wondering whether any of his friends got out before the stock came crashing down. It doesn't seem to exist anymore. Maybe the stock got bought out by a larger company. Based on the look of the goto.com website, it can't be worth very much.

Only link I could find.

EDIT: Found another one, dated 8/21/00. Nice sure thing, there. Perhaps not buying was the OP's best investment?

Link
Old 12-20-2005, 06:23 PM

The $10K I spent on my wife's engagement ring.

(cue schmaltzy Hallmark music)
Old 12-20-2005, 06:25 PM

The $2.99 I spent on a deck of Hank Williams Jr. playing cards. I have not and will not resell these but they are easily the best investment I have made.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Evan - It has now been absorbed into Yahoo. It was, at the time GOTO, then switched to OVER. Haven't looked at a chart in a while, so don't know what info is currently available.

It was founded by Bill Gross/Idealab and was one of their only businesses that actually was a business. The pay per click advertising model has proven to be second, perhaps only to ebay as a pure-play consumer related web business/industry and has thrown the entire advertising world on its ear.

google had no idea how to monetize search until they decided to knock off this idea. paid search now accounts for the huge majority of their revenue.