Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-09-2005, 08:42 PM

Default Re: results

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I do what Tommy does.

Doing what Bike did, while perfectly legit and technically correct, leads to a hostile playing environment. I prefer not to play in tension-filled poker games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the game and player for me. If the guy is an angle shooting tool I demand the exact rules be followed in every instance with him. If the game is friendly and has a casual atmosphere I finally learned it is far best for money and enjoyment to try to keep that vibe going. Like all poker lessons, I wish I had learned that one sooner.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He said king-high, I sat there, unresponsive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Unless I hate the guy and am specifically trying to ridicule him or something (or he is an angle-shooting liar who will say king-high and then slowroll a set), as soon as he says "King-high" my hand is flipped over.

[ QUOTE ]
He was pissed and I got scolded pretty bad by a local who said around here when a guy says "i missed" or "king-high" you're supposed to just show your hand and drag the pot and it's very rude to do what I did.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't scold you, I'd just think you're a jackass. "I missed" is very different, btw. If he said "I missed" I would say something like "one pair." If he says, "that's good" I'd flip over my hand.

[ QUOTE ]
I agree it's a little bit rude perhaps, but if he wants to see my hand it's only fair if he shows his.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of us like playing with some level of civility and at some level, still consider this a gentleman's game. I treat the game as such until someone at the table shows me otherwise, at which point I might change some of my behaviors for that session. To each his own.

[ QUOTE ]
I think making him show is hand is hands down the best/right play.

[/ QUOTE ]

To each his own. I'd rather not irritate other players and have anyone think I'm a nit a-hole. But, we all play for different reasons.

[ QUOTE ]
This is not the first time this has came up by far...and I'm curious how people like Tommy Angelo handle situations like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, bike, I do not like playing with players like you. You are the only type of player whom I would ever consider slow-rolling.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:17 PM

I should have just read the responses first. I agree w/ everything in Tommy's post, except for one thing. I think Tommy's way is better than bike's.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:17 AM

I think the information is very valueable at this high of limits. Knowing that your opponent cold called a 3 bet with KTs rather than KQs is a big difference. I understand if they guy is a total fish and you just want to do everything to keep him comfortable. But if you're against another tricky/good player or whatever they are, does it hurt you that much if they don't like you and don't play with you?
Old 11-10-2005, 02:46 AM

Like I said, we all play poker for different reasons. To me, that info isn't worth being a [censored].
Old 11-10-2005, 02:58 AM

Maybe it's different at higher limits but I'm like the guy who doesn't chop. I'm tough, but consistent. I treat everyone and every situation the same.

You have two choices either show your hand or muck.

Please tell me why I should be dealing with this differently. I can't imagine being "polite" or whatever you want to call it in a 150-300 game.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:14 AM

Default Re: How to handle it

I agree with El Diablo's assessment. Unless the guy is a jerk, I would behave the way Tommy behaves. I also agree with El Diablo that Tommy's way is much better than the way Bicylekick handled it. I hate playing in games where everybody is making everybody else show their hands. It's low class and degenerates the game. People who make a habit of doing that don't understand the big picture.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:40 AM

How about just saying "oh, I have a pair of aces" and flip up the hand right away, and then saying "you were called, can I please see your hand?"

Alot less rude than saying nothing and then rolling your hand. And I think it should be perfectly understandable that you want to see his hand when you are entitled to, playing for this much money.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Like I said, we all play poker for different reasons. To me, that info isn't worth being a [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why BK is the villian here. His opponent is trying just as hard to see his hand as he is trying to see his opponent's hand. Would it be ok when the guy says "K high" to say "one pair" and then just sit there until he mucks?
Old 11-10-2005, 09:11 AM

Default Re: How to handle it

[ QUOTE ]
Unless the guy is a jerk...

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it help you all to know that I know who this guy is, and that he's definitely a 100% total prick?