Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 05:36 PM

Default Fun with Donkbets

As far as preflop goes, button could get pretty laggy postflop, and I didn't want do anything to discourage it. Based on that and the general flow of the game, I felt calling would be better than 3-betting. SB was a little loose passive preflop and ABC tightish postflop FWIW regarding my preflop decision.

Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB
Old 10-01-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Fun with Donkbets

I don't really get what you are doing here. Definetly 3-bet preflop. I would 3-bet on the flop, or checkraise the turn. Given how you played it, I would 3-bet the turn, and then lead. What was your thought process that led you to simply call the turn raise, but lead the river? I really don't get that. Either 3-bet and lead (which I think is correct), or call down.

Please explain yourself.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would 3-bet the turn, and then lead. What was your thought process that led you to simply call the turn raise, but lead the river? I really don't get that. Either 3-bet and lead (which I think is correct), or call down.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-01-2005, 06:01 PM

Given how you played it, I would 3-bet the turn, and then lead. What was your thought process that led you to simply call the turn raise, but lead the river? I really don't get that. Either 3-bet and lead (which I think is correct), or call down.

I don't want him to fold on the turn. I don't want him to take a free showdown on the river with a baby pair or A-high.

Given his range, I think he has relatively few outs on the turn (probably &lt; 4 on average), and my main concern is getting him to put as much money in the pot as possible. Were I to lead/3-bet the turn, my hand would look an awful lot like a 5, and he probably just folds a lot of his hands right there.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:11 PM

Given how you've played it I think you should 3bet the turn and call down in the face of any more aggression.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:11 PM

You'll often be missing bets by bet/calling the turn because so many scare cards can fall on the river (an overcard to his overpair, a 7, a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) that can scare him out of raising the river. The extra bets you get from keeping A-high in won't make up for this IMO(and FWIW in my experience my opponent has an overpair or A7/K7 here far more than just A-high).
Old 10-01-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You'll often be missing bets by bet/calling the turn because so many scare cards can fall on the river (an overcard to his overpair, a 7, a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) that can scare him out of raising the river. The extra bets you get from keeping A-high in won't make up for this IMO(and FWIW in my experience my opponent has an overpair or A7/K7 here far more than just A-high).

[/ QUOTE ]

When I said this guy could could get overly LAG postflop, I wasn't kidding. He could just as easily have Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] here as any of the legitimate hands you mentioned.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:34 PM

mmcd, as a person who respects you and your posts, i dont know what the purpose of this thread is. are you asking us if you made the right play or are you sharing an unorthodox line with us that you think is correct? if its the second, then i appreciate it. otherwise, i dont know how any of us can help you other than tell you that your line is unusual.

i understand that you had a read and your read indicated that this was the best line to take to extract maximum value. how can any of us contradict this if that is the case?
Old 10-01-2005, 06:49 PM

I don't understand what you gain by not 3-betting the turn.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:52 PM

Interesting post mmcd, hope you stop by HUSH more often.