Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 07:55 AM

Default Bush to nominate Roberts as Chief Justice

According to CNN. It's amazing how much luck is involved in becoming Chief Justice. You don't work your way up you just happen to be the pick when the Chief dies.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Bush to nominate Roberts as Chief Justice

[ QUOTE ]
According to CNN. It's amazing how much luck is involved in becoming Chief Justice. You don't work your way up you just happen to be the pick when the Chief dies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. It means you are capable of being the CJ when picked. If Roberts were just run of the mill, he would have been left as the associate nominee. This means that the person Bush wants (and he already has picked privately) is not suitable to be CJ.

Bush likely has a woman or minority that he is planning to put on the bench, but didn't want that person to be CJ.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:11 AM

I was referring not only to Roberts but the high % of Chief Justices that were appointed from outside the court. One would think it makes more sense to promote from within due to the experience factor.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:20 AM

Although he doesn't have experience on that court yet, it is management and consensus building skills that make a good chief justice, and an outsider is just as likely to have those as a sitting justice. But there is a political angle too. Often when a decision is going to go against the way the chief justice would vote, he can change his vote to side with the majority. That way as the senior justice in the majority he gets to choose who writes the majority opinion and thus often can tone down or limit its scope. If he doesn't do this, then a more liberal justice who is the senior one among the majority gets to decide who writes the opinion, although of course all justices can write their own dissenting or concurring opinions.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:29 AM

Sitting justices often feud with each other.

When the CJ died during the Truman Presidency, two sitting justices conducted a battle to get elevated to CJ: Jackson (who had been promised promotion by FDR) and Black (the darling of New Dealers).

Truman did the smart thing and appointed an outsider.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:45 AM

this really surprises me....

I'd have thought that a president of ANY party would promote one of his favorites within the high court like Clarence Thomas over one of his new nomimees.

For one, you have a better established idea of your other 8 justices and can easily pick the most benefical one whereas you're still rolling the dice a bit with a new apointee.

But mostly, I thought it was ettique - I'd think it'd piss the other justices off to find out some new runt was their boss.

RB
Old 09-05-2005, 09:25 AM

Age is a big issue.

If you are a conservative, do you want to nominate a 69 year old Scalia? You don't know who will be President when he dies or has to retire for health reasons.

Nominate an old guy and you may get a liberal Chief Justice 20 years down the road. Nominate a young guy, and you can wait 40 years before his unknown replacement comes on board.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:10 AM

Personally, I prefer this over Thomas or Scalia. Scalia would have been annoying, but reasonable, Thomas would have been a joke. Roberts is as good as anything, in my mind.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I prefer this over Thomas or Scalia. Scalia would have been annoying, but reasonable, Thomas would have been a joke. Roberts is as good as anything, in my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your message has been saved. Your quote will be thrown back in your face at the appropriate time and place. (Did you let one of your conservative friends sit down at your computer?)
Old 09-05-2005, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thomas would have been a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you even name one case he voted on and intelligently discuss his vote on it?

natedogg