Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 07:21 AM

Default Re: Any love for 5 Card Stud?

Now I don’t think my psychological advice was correct. It didn’t occur to me that winning a game could be equated with earning money on a boring job.

Actually, I love Stud8. A short time ago, I played quite loosely on third street. If I could take a card off cheaply, I’d sometimes call with 842 rainbow. Same with any three flush if there were no more than two of the suit showing. [Ray Zee ranked a baby pair with an ace, and a baby pair with a low card as better hands than these. However, I never understood why anyone would play those hands.]

Anyway, on November 26, I read a post by Benwood in which he advocated playing hands that had both high and low potential. I took that to heart, and tightened up considerably. I also restudied Ray Zee’s Stud8 book. I’ve been playing a lot of Stud8 since then. I don’t have a big enough sample to know whether I’m winning more, but I’m enjoying it much more than when I was playing loosely. To each his own, I guess.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:38 AM

I been playing some more stud8 out of couriosity yesterday, and must admit, that the hands you play, when in them are quite fun (Only I got killed by the ante on Party, so no more playing below the 2/4$ level as stated in another post), so the jury is still out on Stud/8 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2005, 05:37 PM

FYI, Full Tilt has a better ante stucture for lower limits than Party if you wnat to give them a try.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:54 PM

Thx .. I will look into that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2005, 10:57 PM

I have heard that 5 card stud was once an event in the world series,but a guy named Bill Boyd dominated the event so throughly every year that they discontinued it.If this is true,there must be some skill to the game.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:59 PM

The Cincinatti Kid was a 5 card stud player,but he just couldn't beat"the man".