Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 10:26 PM

Default Inducing a bluff with trips against an aggressiv semi-good player.

Villian is a decent, semi-loose, AGGRESSIVE player that fires big 1-3 potsize bets.

Do you ever check this kind of hands? I know it's always dangerously stupid to give a free card, but if your opponent is really aggressiv and there is a possible hand he can try to represent (a straight) or a draw he can semibluff with (straight/flush), I feel sometimes I can almost count on a bet.

I'm also curious about thoughts on how you can/should handle aggressive players that raises big with drawing hands. OOP those players can be a pain. Should I, like I did, start to checkraise them with strong hands? Then they will, maybe, start to figure that I will only bet my decent/weak hands, so they can start to buy pots when I just bet OOP. Should I then start to checkraise decent/weak hands too? Well, even at this level players will learn that if a player always and only checkraises his strong hands, they can easily get away when they are behind and buy pots otherwise. I usually prefer to bet/bet/bet my strong hands and bet/bet/check (or sometimes bet/check/bet) my decent hands, but against these kind of players I will face a hard decision every street or I can just bet/fold with decent hand (even when I know he probably just is buying the pot) and bet/reraise or checkraise with my strong hands. Ok, if you have read this far, I just want to point out: the players I'm talking about is not a tight, AGRESSIVE, good player; it's a semi-loose, AGRESSIVE, quasi-thinking player that often stays alive and sometimes even win a lot.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Hero ($23.90)
CO ($21.82)
Button :Villian ($33.77)
SB ($24.60)
BB ($24.50)
UTG ($35.88)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $1</font>, Hero calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button :Villian calls $1, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($3.35) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, Villian calls $5, UTG folds.

Turn: ($15.35) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villian bets $17.9</font>, Hero calls $17.90 (All-In).
Old 11-28-2005, 10:33 PM

Default Re: Inducing a bluff with trips against an aggressiv semi-good player.

Slow playing a set is wrong almost all of time. Here especially. This board is heavily connected and has a flush draw. You may not be ahead and if you are, you are most likely very vulnerable. Raise more on the flop. Calling the turn is fine as you have outs to make a full house.

Checking makes sense with a flop like 962r or 933 where it is unlikely anyone else has a second best hand.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:05 AM

Default Re: Inducing a bluff with trips against an aggressiv semi-good player.

I'm in agreement.

Raise to $8 or $10 on the flop. Jam your stack in on the turn.