Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 10:47 AM

Default $1-3 Limit... turning stone question

It was my first B&M trip ever and I went to Turning Stone about a month ago. To get a feel for the room I bought 100 and sat down at a $1-3 LIMIT. After playing for a few hands I noticed you could bet or raise in an incriment BETWEEN 1-3. I thought this was odd b/c it was not a spread game or anything. Later on when playing 3-6 it was a normal limit structure. What's this about?
Old 08-14-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Re: $1-3 Limit... turning stone question

[ QUOTE ]
I thought this was odd b/c it was not a spread game or anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It is a spread game

Falker
Old 08-14-2005, 01:23 PM

I'm actually planning on going to TS soon and it will be my first time at a B&M. I'm interested in the 1-3 game as well as the 1-2 NL game. My question about the 1-3 game is do people bother to bet anything other than 3 at this game? Betting 1 or 2 seems pretty pointless.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:39 PM

To a bad player, betting 1 or 2 is a tempting option when you think you have a good hand but no monster, say top pair medium kicker. Of course the info you give out by playing like this is worth much more than the dollar or 2 you save by "optimizing" your play in this manner.

IIRC I played around with varying my bet size between 2 and 3 just to give observant opponents one more red herring to track. But there are so few observant opponents in this game, I probably should have just bet 3 each time.

Of course a game like this is all about implied odds and trapping people preflop. Everyone wants to see the flop for a buck; you should do the same with a few more drawing hands than you might otherwise do. With strong preflop hands raise the max and try to thin the field while picking up the limps, which can be substantial in number.

I thought I read on another TS thread that rake is no longer collected in its entirety at $10. That was a ridiculous feature of this game: the pot would suddenly jump backwards from $9 to $7 with an extra $1 put in. However, the max is now $4.