Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2005, 10:19 AM

Default Need Help with the Blinds

I have been palying Texas holdem at the $1-2 for about 10K hands and although I am ahead, barely about 1/2BB for the moment, I noticed I am getting killed in the blinds. I have lost almost $1,000 between the SB and big blind --- ouch. I didnt think I was defending too much but maybe I am. Not sure if it is just by chance or are others about the same. Here are my stats from poker tracker. Does it look right or am I trying to defend too much?

Vol put in from SB 51%
Folded SB to steal 56%
Folded BB to steal 32%
Folded BB to steal HU 25%
Attempted to steal 18%

I have lost $540 in the BB and $430 in the SB

Can I skip playing in the Blinds? Kidding but the thought has crossed my mind to just fold period
Old 04-24-2005, 12:12 AM

Default Re: Need Help with the Blinds

Complete less often from the SB - it looks like you're playing some trashy stuff. If the pot is raised you should tighten way up everywhere, and this includes the SB. Your discount is minimal out of position against a raiser. For the same reason you shouldn't be defending your SB as much as you do. When you do defend play hands that have some showdown value - suitedness doesn't mean as much, nor does connectedness. I'm more likely to defend with A7o than JTs.

Also defend your BB less. I know it's cheap to get in, but you're still out of position. You're playing 68% of your hands; you're behind any two a lot of the time here.

You should however loosen your standards when it's your chance to steal. Considering your position and fold equity do you understand why you should be stealing with many more hands than you defend with?
Old 04-24-2005, 06:28 AM

Thanks. I have been playing almost any playable hand in the big blind to a raise. If the pot was raised from any of the late postion players (many times when one or more had already limped in before the raiser) I played with any playing hand down to 54s which I dont even play on the button! I obviously have the same issue with the SB. Playing like this in the blinds is a realtivley new phenonama for me. For the longest time I made money in the blinds but percieved myself as too week. I am looking for that happy medium just bent too far
Old 04-24-2005, 12:49 PM

I did some rough figuring in my head and it seems you are saving some of your money in the blinds if you are playing full ring. Your numbers look like you are defending too much though. Improving your blind defense will give your game a quantum leap.

If you think the raise is a legitmate hand you need to tighten up and play high showdown hands or +ev hands w/ the implied odds you are getting. Watch out for domination though. If you think the raise is a steal you should loosen up your standards. Again watch out for domination. Get a feel for your opponent, try to resteal if you hit the flop.