Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 07:24 PM

Default How bad did I misplay my set here

Pokerstars 20+1 WCOOP Test tourney. Villain has been VERY LAG so far, limping almost every hand and calling people down with middle/bottom pair.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter

MP3 (t5840)
CO (t3600)
Button (t8960)
Hero (t4140)
BB (t5875)
UTG (t17060)
UTG+1 (t4545)
MP1 (t12580)
MP2 (t7105)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t30, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t120) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, CO checks.

Turn: (t120) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t210</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t420</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1140</font>, MP1 calls t720.

River: (t2400) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1020</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t2040</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ???????

Was the check on the flop a total donk move with the flush draw on board? In such early position I was hoping for any bet behind me then a pretty hefty reraise. By the time I get to the river, what am I likely up against? My instinct the whole way was two pair, MAYBE set over set with his minraise on the river. Comments are always appreciated [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2005, 07:31 PM

Default Re: How bad did I misplay my set here

looks like he turned a straight to me.. though could easily be two pair or smaller set. I would have raised more on the turn probably to 2000, and i might have stuck out a small bet on the flop.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:31 PM

you called right?

Can't see how you misplayed this really - you got the villians chips in the middle when you have trips - can't really hope for anything else really!

OK, if he has trips K or Q's or a straight you are unlucky - but I would call as quick as I could.

Cheers

Damian
Old 08-27-2005, 07:32 PM

There are two things I can put him on.

Two pair as you said yourself, Probably seven and eights or he completed his set on turn.

Personally, I would have bet out on the flop just in case this scenario was going to happen. Now on the turn, there is a flush and straight draw out which puts you in an uncomftable (sp?) situation. I like your thoughts on letting them do the betting but it didnt work. ALthough, only times I let others do the betting for me is when there is no draws on the table in which case a check can get me into trouble.

I'd put him on two pairs (8 and 7) or a set of eights.

Only thing I can say here is bet out if there are any draws on board, I never slowplay then.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:33 PM

bet the flop
just a small probe bet
see how your opponent responds....if hes hit the flop with a pair then u know ur way far a head...if hes hit a flush u know u need to bet turn harder
its ard to know whether your a head of behind in this hand becacuse of ur failure to pay a small amount for large amount of information....now your stuck with a big call and little info...You could still be a head though and I think unless I was there and I felt totally beaten I would call this...he might have KQ
Old 08-27-2005, 07:35 PM

Correction: He probably does have KQ, most likely has two small pairs like 6/8 or hes way ahead with a straight
Old 08-27-2005, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Correction: He probably does have KQ, most likely has two small pairs like 6/8 or hes way ahead with a straight

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is it? does he 'probably have KQ' or "most likely have two small pairs"
Old 08-27-2005, 07:49 PM

I thought about just calling his minraise on the river, figuring there was a significant chance that I was beaten, but I would have been left with just a handful of chips, so I decided to put the rest of it in. He auto-calls and flips over 9T hearts. Does anybody abandon ship anytime on this hand, or should I just chalk this one up to bad luck?

p.s. Exit, I was at a table with you yesterday and tried saying hi, but you must have not seen me.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:26 PM

Woo i called his straight ::beats chest::

Yea sorry burn, yesterday i decided to try out 9-tabling tournaments.. ended up with good results, but won't be doing that again.. sorry for missing you in the chat. I'll say hi next time.

Oh and on the hand.. i'd be real sad and just call.. you're almost always beat, i wish i was good enough to lay it down here, but there are still a few hands he could have that you have beat. I say just call and then gamble it up with the 1000 or so you have left.