Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Re: How Difficult?

So what is your estimate of the minimum IQ required to pass physics? How about to get 3+ GPA?
Old 10-10-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think the inability to recognize .125=1/8 means people are incapable, it just means they are not quick with numbers. So, while I believe your example is flawed, I agree with your sentiment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mean to say that such a person was incapable. I know many people who are quite intelligent in many ways that would not be able to do this question in the way I have described.

I just think that the overall mathematical understanding in the general population is astoundingly low. Many people are incapable of understanding basic probability, and in some cases things that are classified as "miraculous" are actually quite likely to happen.

I was reading a book that described a situation where someone phoned someone else that they new reasonably well just at the instant the other person was in the middle of a medical emergency. It would seem that this was something like fate. However, if you consider all of the people in the world, all of the friends that people have, and all of the times that people have medical emergencies, such an event would likely happen quite a few times EVERY DAY.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what is your estimate of the minimum IQ required to pass physics? How about to get 3+ GPA?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't know how much IQ is relevant in such a situation. I don't think the English part of the IQ test has much relevance at all. I would guess that your Math IQ would have to be at least 115-120 to have a reasonable chance of getting through a 4 year Physics bachelor degree program.

In my case, I was a fairly immature 18-22 year old so my marks didn't really reflect my ability level. Playing poker and drinking vodka were higher on my priority list. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

This was 25 years ago, way before the big poker boom. We played draw poker, and games like black chicago, in between, guts, and 727. I didn't even know the rules of hold'em or omaha back then.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I think most people could learn with enough practice. In comparison I think less than 50% of people could complete a physics degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering only about 25% percent of Americans age 25+ have any sort of bachelors or higher degree I think this figure is rather high.

link

Meaning I agree with less than 50%, but its got to be much much less.