Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Re: oops, forgot to add the flop action

I think everyone on this site kwows that. See what happens is the J of spades comes on the turn and the guy who limped with AJ gets busted I win a $4000 pot and the rest of you win $400 pot. I like to play for small pots but I LOVE to play for big ones. Free card is the way to go.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think everyone on this site kwows that. See what happens is the J of spades comes on the turn and the guy who limped with AJ gets busted I win a $4000 pot and the rest of you win $400 pot. I like to play for small pots but I LOVE to play for big ones. Free card is the way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you check the flop and a spade hits the turn, do you really think you're going to get that kind of action. This is a fairly large buy-in tourney and you have to think that people can won't go broke with two pair and someone clearly playing like they made a flush.

This is a great hand to bet on the flop and if a spade hits, let someone bluff at it or perhaps even hit a smaller flush. Right now this hand is a slight dog to an Ace with a bigger kicker but if the turn is a blank we become almost a 3-1 dog.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a great hand to bet on the flop and if a spade hits, let someone bluff at it or perhaps even hit a smaller flush. Right now this hand is a slight dog to an Ace with a bigger kicker but if the turn is a blank we become almost a 3-1 dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

everyone should note this. It's a huge, and fairly common factor when you have a hand that has a lot of value on the flop with it's made hand and/or draw capability (like an open ended straight flush draw). Your hand diminishes in value if the turn blanks out.
We should be indifferent about taking down the pot here with a bet or getting called. If there was a preflop raiser, or if you had a read on a late position player that indicated that he would bet if checked to, then we could go for a check raise there. However, we should probably bet to disguise our hand strength a bit on this flop.

SossMan
Old 01-26-2005, 04:28 PM

I'd bet out about 300-400 on this flop. like others have said, you probably won't get paid off if check it and do it.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:35 PM

I think you have to bet it. Pot-sized or close to it. No way are you getting paid off otherwise if a spade falls.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With that position I'm checking, free card is good for everybody, either your kicker is no good and your still drawing or your way a head.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you add some folding equity into a good 300-400 bet then your hand is +EV in my opinion. A check here isn't really good for all IMO because what happens when it's a brick? You've wasted your best opporunity to take the pot down on the flop. If a spade comes, I don't know if you'll be able to get a good payoff. Probably forced to try a check-raise. I don't think that checking is at all the right play here. But just my opinion.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:31 PM

A bet here is the best play, Its likley to take it down right there, if not it works more than 50% of the time to give you a free river to some Donkey trying to slow play a set or Big A. They check the blank turn expecting you to bet again
Old 01-27-2005, 02:35 PM

Default RESULTS

I bet 260. They all folded.

Boring result, but interesting situation. At least I thought so. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Thanks to all who replied,
Che