Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 04:18 AM

Default K9s in BB

Opponent is pretty loose overall and is aggressive post-flop with most any piece of the board. He has open-limped many times from the button so he doesn't seem to value stealing the blinds that much. In my DB, he is 52/13/1.8

I'm not sure I played this well on any street so all comments are welcome.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14.50 BB

Thanks,

Dave
Old 11-07-2005, 04:22 AM

Default Re: K9s in BB

u gotta c/r this flop, trap SB. The rest i prob play the same, not sure i cap the river with a paired board. Looks like he prob has AA or 10's and was trying to keep SB in the hand on the flop.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:27 AM

I don't think you have to check raise this flop. There is nothing that button could have that won't call down unless you are banking on KQ and plan on betting any river. However, giving sb a chance to call is important. I'd just check call this flop against this button.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:42 AM

If you have a reason to believe button can let go of a lower pair (it doesn't seem like you should) the flop bet is ok (based on what you gave us for reads I check/call the flop). Once he calls though, you should check/call the turn. River c/r is goot.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:58 PM

Thanks everyone,

Button showed 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and MHIG. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think that all things considered I should have checked the flop and raised if the sb calls the likely button bet. I agree that having the sb in the hand helps me here. At the time, I was thinking that I had a better than 1:6 chance of having them fold here, but I certainly don't want the button to raise the flop and leave me HU and OOP. I like the check/call or check/raise better now.

I think that the turn was my worst play of the hand. There is really very little chance I pick this pot up with my bet. I thought that the button had a pair less than aces, and the turn could not have helped him. I didn't consider that he may be slow playing though, and I certainly didn't expect that the turn helped him. When he raises I am forced to call, while losing the sb as well. I think that a check/call would be better here.

I think that the river worked out well, since I was hoping to get 2 or 3 bets in when my hand hits. I thought that there was little chance of a check behind, and no one brought up a river lead, so I am assuming that the river is standard. Given that the board pairs, would anyone go for the cap here? It is not in my play book, but I think I am a little weaker on the river than many others.

Dave
Old 11-07-2005, 01:12 PM

I want to CR that flop badly. Like, really badly. I would go another raise on the river. You have the nut flush, and against this opponent, putting them on a FH/Quads is very hard. I wouldn't be surprised if he turns up a big two pair or a smaller flush often here enough to cap that river
Old 11-07-2005, 02:40 PM

I like the flop c/r. The only thing that I don't like is that a flop c/r together with a turn check (when the turn whiffs) fully exposes my hand. It feels pretty weak to put in the last raise on the flop and then check the turn about 80% of the time when I miss. Maybe I shouldn't be concerned with this, but it feels weak. I think that I follow through too much when I have shown aggression on an earlier street.

Thanks for the river comments. I still am not sure that the river cap is worth it or not, but I agree with your analysis that 2 pair is the most likely opponent hand. I am also clouded by the button showing such a strange hand. I never gave the straight any consideration. If I consider that the button should have AA, TT, AT, A3, A2, QJc, 22, maybe 33, or maybe an over-played AK, then I am about a 2:1 favorite against this range. I am not sure that the button calls the cap always with 2-pair, or the AK, but definitely calls with anything else. I do appreciate that there is some potential in the river cap here, especially with a button who is loose in general.

Dave
Old 11-07-2005, 05:33 PM

my standard play here is check raise flop lead turn call a raise and lead out river if improved.