Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you crap in the backyard?
Yea I gots to go 79 55.24%
No (what do you do then)? 64 44.76%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2005, 03:08 AM

Default Re: home game penalty for cussing - what to do?

[ QUOTE ]
I take issue with the use of G.D.

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I can't think of any profanities with those initials.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're a religious person its not too much to ask your guests to take reasonable measures to not offend your religious sensibilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, now I get it. I think the root of your problem it that G.D. is not generally considered a 'cuss word.' With such a broad taboo-net cast over the game's vocabulary, you will doubtless run into some technicalities. Make sure not to invite anyone Hindi because then you can't even say 'holy cow!' [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

FWIW, isn't gambling unchristian?
Old 08-15-2005, 06:49 AM

what the [censored] game do you think youre playing? [censored] shoots and ladders?

seriously though. poker is a game that fosters strong goddamn emotion, requiring strong language to express it. if anyone is too young to hear it, theyre too you ng to play.

on a side note, it seems backward to me that anyone who takes the Bible etc.. so seriously would host a poker game at his house.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:58 PM

I also don't let them smoke weed on my balcony anymore....guess I need to grow up!

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe they are cussing cuz they can't get high and calm down. Implement a mandatory smoke session pregame and take care of the issues.
Personally though, I have always stuck by the mantra "If you don't like it don't listen".
What if you showed up at a game and were required to say "God Damn" every time someone beat you at a pot?
Old 08-15-2005, 07:24 PM

you know, i bet jesus would have made a great poker player...
Old 08-16-2005, 07:40 PM

I think he would have cheated too much. If he can turn water into wine, whats to stop him from turning your AA into 23o?
Old 08-16-2005, 10:48 PM

this is EXACTLY why it is so outrageous when christians in the united states talk about how people are trying to oppress their religion. so many religious people put imposing their beliefs on other people over letting people do what they want it is insane. you have no right to penalize someone for saying a word you dont like. i would never play in a game with this rule because it would be obvious im playing with irrational wackos. how are you STILL bothered by a single word? you dont need to put the weight of jesus's life on someones choice of words. just ignore it, we;re not 3 year olds here. i dont ban anything from my house because it is incredibly presumptious to insist that my beliefs are more important than everyone elses and that they must care about MY beliefs more than their own. i guess you could say its an issue of "respecting" your house, but at the same time, i cannot believe that as an adult you have not learned to ignore a figure of speech, that is seriously amazing to me.

rj
Old 08-26-2005, 11:39 AM

personally, i adore christian fascism...
Old 08-26-2005, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so many religious people put imposing their beliefs on other people over letting people do what they want it is insane. you have no right to penalize someone for saying a word you dont like. i would never play in a game with this rule because it would be obvious im playing with irrational wackos. rj

[/ QUOTE ]

What is outrageous is how everyone assumes their right, to say anything and everything that they choose, supercedes the rights of the host WHOSE HOUSE THEY HAVE BEEN INVITED TO to respect their preferences.

Personally, if you refused to honor my requests about certain behavior or language, you won't have to WORRY about attending- I'd throw your ass out.

It's called consideration for others, or more correctly, MANNERS, people.

Signed
Another Irrational Wacko
Old 08-26-2005, 02:04 PM

I normally wouldn't want to post but here goes (and it sounds like, after sorting through everything, OP's friend didn't use said word anyway the past time out):

1) I don't like the time penalty idea. With so few people, I'd be afriad if it happened at the wrong time (which tends to be often when the pressure is at its greatest or someone being all-in anyway), it could make for some even more 'colorful' outbursts, or might actually dramatically change the outcome of the tournament. Everyone can slip up, and sometimes a 'Jeepers' just isn't on the tip of people's tounges when it happens.

2) I think the money idea is better, but I would think it may be best to just have it be a penalty to the total prize pool, e.g., $1 to the winner from said culprit's pocket, etc. This way, if they win, well, good for them, they lucked out.. a chip penalty during the tournament may be meaningless if it were to be too small relative to someone's stack, and I'd guess most swear words would happen when someone is busted out, e.g., no chips.

3) The problem with 'swear' words is that they are still, by and large, subjective. For example, I was offended by Wayne Newton's constant, cruel, Native American jokes... but none of these contained anything pertaining to God, any of the 7 dirty words, etc., but stripped down to its simplest definition would be swears since the language and context bothered me(though Wayne's lack of singing might have done that too). If he had dropped a few F-bombs instead, well, no biggie... A F-bomb in an adult show context, no kids, joking atmosphere is forgivable as a swear in my book, and certainly wouldn't bother me the way the hurtful/off color words in the former example did.