Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 09:35 PM

Default Why SS is not as good as it could have been (rant content)

Hi,
I am not a very good poker player, so it not meant as trashing of other players' poker skills. However one thing I think all SS-posters should realize before posting again:

You suck at poker. If you had been good you would have played higher!

So does this mean you have to suck? No. But it means that posting oneliners like "raise" or "easy 3-bet" is stupid since if you had known the truth you would have played higher. Get the picture? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thus it is many of the less renowned posters that contribute more because they state opinions that contradicts the sort of "common SS-truths" that so many frequent posters religiously obey. The common truths must contain flaws, because if they hadn't you would all play higher.

So, hopefully this forum can be a creative forum with many ideas thrown on the table without all posters that challenge "the common SS 2+2-truths" getting more or less flamed. Since maybe some of these posts may be the solution to moving up.

My rant for today.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Why SS is not as good as it could have been (rant content)

[ QUOTE ]
If you had been good you would have played higher!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I'll be the only one to tell you that your statement is fallacious. Many of us are pretty decent and are just on our way to playing higher. Others are just really risk-averse and want 1000BB before we move up. Lastly, I don't know where I'm supposed to get a BR for 30/60, do you?
Old 07-22-2005, 09:40 PM

I think you're wrong that if the players in this forum were good they would play higher. Firstly, there are a lot of good players working their way up the limits in here. Secondly, there are posters here who do play relatively mid-high limits and post in this forum either because they think the mid-high is full of idiots or because they learnt everything in SS back in the day so they like this forum.

Having said that, I think a good amount of the advice confidently and repeatedly given here is wrong, and people dogmatically say that things are not close when they are much closer than they realise in my view. Of course maybe they're right and I'm wrong, I'm surely guilty of some of this myself.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:41 PM

You are an idiot. Keep posting, you are the reason SS is not what it could be.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I'll be the only one to tell you that your statement is fallacious. Many of us are pretty decent and are just on our way to playing higher. Others are just really risk-averse and want 1000BB before we move up. Lastly, I don't know where I'm supposed to get a BR for 30/60, do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just meaning that posters should get their feet onto the ground. You and many other posters are probably top 1% of all poker players in ability, but still only realizing that some other players are much better than you is the right kind of thinking IMO.

That you reply this way only confirms my point, because as a long time lurker I have noticed you as somebody always open for debate about your views and I think (I don't know) this is the main reason why you are on your way.

Good luck!
Old 07-22-2005, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are an idiot. Keep posting, you are the reason SS is not what it could be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, I think I have only 10 posts here. I lack the experience to post qualitatively about hands. On creating a culture for learning though, I consider myself an expert.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:24 PM

I don't understand your post. There are many players on this forum who play higher limits, and a majority of the other posters play lower limits, but have huge bankrolls for the limits they play. Those players have not moved up because of a risk-aversion situation, not because they lack the skills.

Many times the reason someone delivers a one line answer is because it really is that easy of a decision. Telling everyone on the forum they suck is quite an unproductive way of improving the quality.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand your post. There are many players on this forum who play higher limits, and a majority of the other posters play lower limits, but have huge bankrolls for the limits they play. Those players have not moved up because of a risk-aversion situation, not because they lack the skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some posters fall into this category obviously and I think in this group you find those who contribute in addition to the newcomers. It is those in between I attacked.

[ QUOTE ]

Many times the reason someone delivers a one line answer is because it really is that easy of a decision.

[/ QUOTE ]
To an easy question, of course. But very often I see somebody writing a 4-liner explaining their view and they just get answers implying they are wrong without providing any insight. I learn more from a newcomer explaining his action (even if it might be wrong) than from a middle 2/4-player stating what he finds obvious.

[ QUOTE ]
Telling everyone on the forum they suck is quite an unproductive way of improving the quality.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess most posters and lurkers are here to become good 50/100-players or something like this in the long run. Only way to become a good 50/100-player is to realize that you suck compared to them. And then look for ways to improve.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You suck at poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

cant say I agree with this, one I dont suck, and also, there are some pretty good posters who do pretty well.

Also, some are risk adverse to playing higher, just because they need a million BBs to move up doesnt make them poor players, just not adventureous ones.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Another thing, not to sound like a flame, but if you dont grasp the basic concept of why this is untrue...its not likely u have the talent to spot what is "good" advice and what is "poor" advice.

I dont see the point of this thread, if u feel someone is giving bad advice in a hand, say so in a post, maybe you will get a discussion going.

Doesnt really matter to me though, I dont really spend any time here anymore (SSHE forum anyway).
Old 07-22-2005, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I dont see the point of this thread, if u feel someone is giving bad advice in a hand, say so in a post, maybe you will get a discussion going.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point being that the kind of general attitude makes the forum much less good than it could have been. In other forums I have lurked on 2+2 there has been a lot more soul-searching threads trying to get deeper into understanding this complex game. I feel that all the dogmatic shortposters block the possibility of this. I think the key to improving is by increasing the understanding of the game and that comes through discussion and new ideas, not through consensus.

We will all the time face new situations at the table, so it is increased understanding that can lead us furthest upwards, not learned dogmes.

P.S. I did not want to attack certain posters since that is dirty, but FYI those replying in these thread are among those I view as constructive.
Closed Thread