Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 09:14 PM

Default 100NL 6-max straight flush - what\'s your play?

I have no read on the SB.

MP is a reasonable player. The one dollar probing bet on flop is not uncommon for him. He could have a flush draw, a straight draw, or any pair. His call on the turn suggets he either made a flush, made a straight, or has something like the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 or A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9.

I have seen MP raise and then fold to a re-raise. My guess it that if he has the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] he would raise a small bet and just smooth call a pot bet. I don't know whether he would call all-in with it, either on a straight push or if I bet small and re-raised all-in.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) converter

Button ($128.90)
SB ($31)
Hero ($135.80)
UTG ($30.60)
MP ($88.50)
CO ($27.90)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $1, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($4) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $1</font>, Button folds, SB calls $1, Hero calls $1.

Turn: ($7) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $4</font>, Hero calls $4, MP calls $4.

River: ($19) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks to Hero.

How much should I bet?

1) Bet small and try to get a little value.

2) Bet the pot and hope someone calls.

3) Push all-in and hope that MP calls with the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Old 06-17-2005, 09:19 PM

Default Re: 100NL 6-max straight flush - what\'s your play?

Bet half the pot. Gives im 3-1. If you push here with a 4 card straight flush on the board, it ain't getting called.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:22 PM

i think betting somewhere between half the pot and the pot will get u paid off the best.

if u think a push would look suspicious and get called ponder that play but only against certain players.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:29 PM

It was very tough to read because your avatar kept stealing my attention [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Is there a reason you played this so passive? Bet the flop, raise the turn, bet how much you think they'll call on the river.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:36 PM

Bet $12 exactly. This allows MP to raise, and if he just flat calls and SB raises (which is possible with short stack donks) then you can push over that. It also looks weak enough that MP could raise it to say $25 and even if he does fold to a push over that, at least you get that extra $ in.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was very tough to read because your avatar kept stealing my attention [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if having that as my stars avatar would be +EV or -EV? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Anyways...

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a reason you played this so passive? Bet the flop, raise the turn, bet how much you think they'll call on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet the flop? No thanks. Why build a pot out of position with jack high? I was in the BB, so it's not like I feel attached to this pot. If someone makes a pot bet, I fold. No biggy. Besides, people bet small so often that I was hoping somone would bet a dollar so I could call. Wish granted.

As for the turn, I know the SB hit the turn. So he either has a flush or straight, or if he is a real idiot he might have two pair. In any case, there isn't much point to raising him, as he is drawing dead with a straight, dead with a lower flush, and I'm drawing ~dead to a higher flush (one-outer). Plus I get to keep MP in the pot by just calling.

I'm willing to sacrifice the EV of letting SB get away with a smaller flush for the safety of not loosing my stack to a higher flush. Plus, I get more value out of the straight this way.

If another diamond on the river falls and I lose, so be it. It's not a big pot.

EDIT: This all makes sense in my mind, but I have no idea if my writing is coherent, and I don't feel like editing the whole thing again.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet $12 exactly. This allows MP to raise, and if he just flat calls and SB raises (which is possible with short stack donks) then you can push over that. It also looks weak enough that MP could raise it to say $25 and even if he does fold to a push over that, at least you get that extra $ in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if this is right or not, but it is VERY creative thinking.

I like it. Nice idea.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for the turn, I know the SB hit the turn. So he either has a flush or straight, or if he is a real idiot he might have two pair. In any case, there isn't much point to raising him, as he is drawing dead with a straight, dead with a lower flush,

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I usually don't like raising when I am WAY ahead of the range I put my opponents on ... but seriously, are you really that afraid of that you're behind the ace and king high flush?
Old 06-17-2005, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I usually don't like raising when I am WAY ahead of the range I put my opponents on ... but seriously, are you really that afraid of that you're behind the ace and king high flush?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats going to call me?

God I sound like the normal tight 2+2er. I needed a reminder that I'm playing stars 100nl and these people are idiots.

You're right.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:55 PM

I'm assuming you would like to get better and eventually play higher stakes. Playing passive can win in small stakes, but you will not be a winner playing like this in higher staked games. Have you read Super System? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Groove some (definitely not all!!) of his ideas into your game and you'll become a more aggressive player, which is g00t.