Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 03:10 PM

Default AA on Hand 1 of Tournament

Taj Mahal $50 + $15 tournament (T5000 start, T25-T50 blinds). First hand. So, no reads. Hero knows no one at the table.

Hero is UTG with AA. Hero limps. Folded to CO who limps. Button raises to T200. Blinds fold. Hero calls, CO limper folds. Heads up to the flop, which is:

Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero checks, button bets T400. Hero calls. Turn:

6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero checks, button bets T500, Hero check-raises to T2500. Button thinks for a little bit and pushes all in.

Should Hero call? What do you think of the play on the rest of the hand? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: AA on Hand 1 of Tournament

You have to call now, but I hate how you played it up till then. I'm guessing that you are behind here about 50% of the time.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero is UTG with AA. Hero limps. Folded to CO who limps. Button raises to T200. Blinds fold. Hero calls, CO limper folds. Heads up to the flop, which is:

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok so you limp AA UTG. I'm not going to start that argument *again*, but you decided to do it. Fine. Then you get a RAISE behind you (which is exactly what you wanted) so you can reraise when it gets back to you - thus building the pot more than if you had just raised (that was the point of limping in the first place).
Old 05-03-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok so you limp AA UTG. I'm not going to start that argument *again*, but you decided to do it. Fine. Then you get a RAISE behind you (which is exactly what you wanted) so you can reraise when it gets back to you - thus building the pot more than if you had just raised (that was the point of limping in the first place).

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, short raising UTG, then folding to a push, I can't imagine a worse way to play the hand.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:27 PM

You got the opportunity to limp re-raise pre-flop. Take it!!!

I probably call and lose if he hit a set. Given the people that play in the Taj tournament there are too many other hands in his pushing range that we are ahead of right now. But this person might be different. *shrug*
Old 05-03-2005, 03:37 PM

Yes, this is definitely a call.

You played this with a lot of risk, but there are a ton of hands paying you off here. The line I'd give you as an opponent would be AK or a medium pair trying to steal the pot.

If he has one of the 7 hands that has you crushed, there's no real way to tell by his betting pattern. If he raised with an unpaired hand that contained a 6, oh well.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:38 PM

You've got 3100 in the pot already. How can you lay this down for 1900 more? I hate the way this unfolded though.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:40 PM

One of the basic rules of aces is you don't slowplay them, because their value goes down as more cards hit.

Preflop, you should probably have open raised. When you limp, and get raised, you need to reraise. That is the whole point of limping.

On the flop, you should lead out or checkraise.

I guess that by the turn you figured you had trapped your opponent and you would get all your money in. But is AA still the nuts at this point?
Old 05-03-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Taj Mahal $50 + $15 tournament

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes!
And here I was complaining about party raking rebuys and add-ons.....
That is just sick.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:50 PM

It is pretty much impossible to play this hand any worse. At this point, you have to grit your teeth and call, praying the opponent has kings.

Why on earth you did not reraise pre-flop is the real question here.