Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2005, 07:19 AM

Default 5/10 limit draw heads up in the blinds

the paradise 5/10 game has become more regular so several draw positions have been running through my head - the blinds are $2/$5

folded to you in the SB - there are of-course many considerations based on the BB but what are some of the prima facie concerns ?

should 22 raise ? - should you ever complete when doing so is not to disguise other holdings ? - should your game from this spot be structured so that you find yourself open raising AQ high from time to time ?

any thoughts/math appreciated

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 01-02-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Re: 5/10 limit draw heads up in the blinds

[ QUOTE ]
the paradise 5/10 game has become more regular so several draw positions have been running through my head - the blinds are $2/$5

folded to you in the SB - there are of-course many considerations based on the BB but what are some of the prima facie concerns ?

should 22 raise ? - should you ever complete when doing so is not to disguise other holdings ? - should your game from this spot be structured so that you find yourself open raising AQ high from time to time ?

any thoughts/math appreciated

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played up to the 3/6, so I'm not sure how differently any of the people play based on the limit; although, if anything, it seems tighter from seeing the % to see the flop.

Although I'm sure you'd want to mix it up, with occasional raises w/ AK if the BB is one to fold a lot, I think you have to take the number of people at the table into consideration as well. If it's a full table, and others have passed, it's more likely that the blinds will have hands. So kind of goes with what percentage of time will the blind fold if he has no hand vs how often you raise. Since there's only $7 in the pot and you're having to put in $8, have to win more than 1/2 the time. Plus, the BB has to not realise what you're doing and not fight back.

This is all pretty standard and more begs the even more standard answer of, "it depends".

Although I've never played the 5/10, I keep seeing % of people to see the "flop" (coming in before the draw) being very low. I often ask myself "is it really profitable to play"?? That's why I've never taken a shot at it. I can beat the other games (although my BB/hr is much more at 1/2), so why do I want to play in a game where everyone it playing well?

So this is a question for you, I guess, do you really find the 5/10 that profitable? (I'm assuming you must or you wouldn't play).
Old 01-02-2005, 07:32 PM

In Super System Caro describes raising for the button (I think there's only one blind?) and drawing 4 and being able to make a profit.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In Super System Caro describes raising for the button (I think there's only one blind?) and drawing 4 and being able to make a profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, you really got me with this one and I had to bring out the book [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I found the spot that you're referring to, but you got it backwards (regarding if you're the blind): "...one Ace to call the dealer if he tends to raise liberally."

Where as it sounded like you were stating to raise as a steal and draw 4.

And yes, this was with only a one blind structure.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So this is a question for you, I guess, do you really find the 5/10 that profitable? (I'm assuming you must or you wouldn't play).

[/ QUOTE ]

i have no idea how much i make in this game - i dont keep records - i'm certain i win and i would guess at a decent clip - maybe $30-$40/100 hands

the current 5/10 game at paradise is frequented by a couple of rude, arrogant, super aggro, wankers who make for a great game - i've been getting capped pre-flop by AA - but even when the game is tight pre-flop i still think its a profitable game

draw is a big game - more than any other version of poker i've played i think it accomodates vastly different styles - if your good at spotting a target and play a little loose and aggro in the tight pre-flop games they can be great games too

Old 01-04-2005, 10:35 AM

Moreover, Caro advises it in a game with the Bug.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If it's a full table, and others have passed, it's more likely that the blinds will have hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this statement is undeniably false. The evidence is in Supersystem where Caro gives a table for the likelihood of a pot being opened from various positions if you sandbag a good hand from any particular position. The implication being that fewer hands meeting the Jacks or better criterion to open are about. This line of reasoning would apply to all playable hands (if you think pairs/draws playable).