Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 02:51 AM

Default Omaha H/L tourney near bubble hand

I'm still learning Omaha, specifically tournaments. Here's a hand from the $10+1 on Stars tonight, limit H/L. My question mostly has to do with PF. Is this playable from EP? I felt like my stack compared to the blind structure, I needed to gamble and see if I could hit a flop.

The converter doesn't convert stack sizes, but I had about 5000, and it was up to the 600/1200 limit, so blinds of 300/600.

PokerStars (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of 300.
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls 180 (All-In), BB calls.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

<font color="brown"> Check the turn here? </font>

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">
<font color="brown"> Well, [censored]. </font>
Old 01-04-2005, 06:12 AM

Default Re: Omaha H/L tourney near bubble hand

Nolan Fan - You're at the point in the tournament where if you enter the action and there's a bet on every round, you'll be mostly all-in. If there's a raise on any betting round and a bet on every round, you will be all-in. I think if you play that hand under those conditions in a tournament, you come in with a raise. You have an excellent one-on-one hand and should endeavor to either get heads-up with a blind or steal the blinds. You're at a place in the tournament where getting heads-up or stealing the blinds is a possibility. Go for it! (Limping here is a poor tactic).

Just my opinion.

Buzz
Old 01-04-2005, 10:49 AM

I agree w/ Buzz entirely. Any time you enter a pot w/ A4 and big cards (especially a big pair) you're looking to make it heads up (or 3-handed, at worst) and receive a flop with two or three big cards.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:09 PM

Yeah, in hindsight I agree. I should have brought it in for a raise.

That hand is pretty playable given the stack sizes and blinds, right? I figured it was too good to lay down, so I did what I usually do when I can't decide what to do - "I'll just limp in, and decide what to do on the flop".

Thanks for the thoughts. Not shockingly, the river made the wheel for the BB and all-in player.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:12 PM

It says the hand was 8 handed. Not sure how that's near the bubble.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It says the hand was 8 handed. Not sure how that's near the bubble.

[/ QUOTE ]

MTT. Not a SNG. Tournament paid 27, and we were down to like 50 or so. I considered it a bubble situation, because looking at the other tables, it was clear about half the field was in a situation like me, where if they played a hand, they needed to be ready to go to the river with it.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:05 PM

Oh I see, then yeah I'm going to have to agree that in this situation you either want to raise or fold, never just call on the turn.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:46 PM

I'd raise PF and raise the flop.

Preflop: In O8 there are what I call playing hands and HU/SH hands. Playing hands you want multiway action and see what the flop is cos you have good low possibilities but lesser high chances. Or you try and get HU cos you have both ways possible already.

Playing hands: A248ss, A34T, A226...ie no great high potential (except for the longshot wheels/small straights).

HU type hands: A4QQ, A3KQ, A2QJ, A5TT. ie you've got good potential to catch the high - so long as you've got it short handed.

Flop: You've got a great multiway hand on the flop, but it's a tournament, you have no low back up and lots of bad things can happen when many players stay around for the rest of the hand.