Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Loved Ones Doubting you / hindering game

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They should doubt you. Nothing in your post resembles a player beating the game, rather you sound like yet another losing player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmkay, next post I'll be sure to list an inventory of everything I've bought with poker winnings, NOT. Can you really rate my success over the years I've played by a few disgruntled sentences during a hard time I was having? If you havent experienced the real swings of this game, I'm sorry, but you aren't older than 25. Your snide, out of line, and immature comments arent really worthy of a response, but I couldn't resist. I love how "players" love to empower themself on posts by acting invinicible, scrutinizing anyone expressing real emotion, anything that breaks the mold of the crap they ingest from their poker bibles. Word of advice - get out more, socialize, step foot in a real cardroom and bring even 1/10th of that failed arrogance you call a personality, and someone will teach you a lesson you haven't yet read about.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are the one out of line.

here are things you can stand to learn:

1. be open minded. if you, say, come onto a gambling problem and people nearly unanimously disagree with some aspect of your philosophy, you should start to take that as evidence that there are things you have to learn yet, whether you've won in the past or not. nearly everyone around here is a long-term winner, and many have results better than yours.

2. in that vein, learn to BLAME YOURSELF when your results aren't as good as you like. the fact that you talk about having trouble in cash games because the players don't play well is very revealing. stop talking about "beats." IT'S YOUR FAULT. YOU CAN PLAY BETTER. only good can come at being critical of your own play.

3. you seem to think that experience has taught you that poker theory is not backed up by poker reality. playing optimally according to gambling theory is the most profitable way to gamble long term. it's not like you can take your experience vs. someone else's "poker bible" (assuming it's Theory of Poker here) and say you somehow know better. because there are opinions and then there are mathematical facts.

cheers.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
stop talking about "beats." IT'S YOUR FAULT. YOU CAN PLAY BETTER. only good can come at being critical of your own play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I respect your opinion, and anyones opinion if they atleast elaborate with some sort of reasoning for their feelings. In this instance, the way I have worded myself has created the perception of a few posters that my results must truly be poor, and that is a fair assessment given the way I had introduced myself.

However, I do have a problem with the above quote of yours, to say I am making a mistake, and not just getting unlucky in certain key hands is ridiculous. We both know there are times when you play a hand just as you should, get as much action possibly from your opponent, whom you have a strong read on, and he proceeds to hit a two-outer on you. There is absolutely nothing that can be done, I do not discourge my opponent from calling my bets when I'm a huge mathematical favorite, I know in the long run I want him to make his outrageous plays, I still get frustrated in the 'short term' when he sucks out, and no, it doesnt tilt my play, but it does bring me to vent with my words.

Furthermore, I was not referring to any single publication, I am just not concerned with many facets of the game that were introduced to players during their developmental stages. The fact is some people were born with innate talent, some people were born cognizant of it, and others began to open doors layer by layer, with help from those closer to the core, and some people were born with no innate talent and need to always rely on what is mathematically proven. I am not debating styles or philosophy with you, but to me my own opinion, intuition, and instincts are and always will be more profitable than mathematical fact.

Again sorry if I offended anyone.

Old 10-26-2005, 10:33 PM

honestly i'm just trying to help you.

if you have an appropriate bankroll, the bad beats don't even matter. in the long run they don't mean anything.

stop bitching about things you cant control and put your attention on what you CAN control: your play. i'll say it again, blame yourself. only good things will happen.

the reason people started jumping on you is you made it sound like bad play by opponents hurt your ability to beat cash games.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Word of advice - get out more, socialize, step foot in a real cardroom and bring even 1/10th of that failed arrogance you call a personality, and someone will teach you a lesson you haven't yet read about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviosly you dont play online, mabey YOU should try multiabling and get your 200+ hands/hr. Mabey you have been playing for 6 months to a year. Online thats 1-2 months. Complaining about players that cant fold is a sure sign of a mediocre weak-tight player.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:59 AM

Your understanding of the game (and gambling) seems quite flawed. You want to play weak players that suck out...this game is a jog, not a sprint. Look at it from a longterm professional perspective.

[ QUOTE ]
I've come to the conclusion my next $5,000 poker dollars will all be spent for SNG's, and small MTT's. Sick of the massive fields, tired of cash games, tired of live games, tired of online games, I just played about 30 hours of poker straight and quite honestly I'm tired of myself. On that note, gl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spent? You've committed to losing already. Take a break...you seemed stressed and somewhat desperate. Your life and mindset aren't conducive to winning poker right now. Take some time off (and anyone who reads my posts might think this hypocritical from me b/c I've made the same mistake of playing through bad life crap many times - but it was never a good idea) and come back refreshed. One day at a time broseph...

Jeff
Old 10-27-2005, 12:48 PM

Listen dude. The same drama that is happening with the fiance is happening at the table. You have become self-defeating.

I really do feel bad that everyone is jumping down your throat about wording ("spend money on poker") but you must see that this is only proof from inside you that you have become self-defeating.

Take a vacation, if you can. Take the girl with you, have some fun away from your everyday reality. If things are really bad between the two of you, go on your own. It'll help you put everything into perspective, and it sounds like you have a lot to perspectifize.

When you decide to play poker again, make sure you're sitting there to win, and get some noise cancelling headphones so you can't hear the nagging.

I hope this helps.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
perspectifize

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow..if only this was a real word [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

To the OP:

1, Take a break from poker
2, Get things sorted in your life
3, Seriously, read some poker books...it can only help your game.
4, Return to poker refreshed.

Of course all this is easier said than done.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:41 AM

i don't usually do this.

YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE FUNDAMENTAL CONCEPTS OF POKER. DON'T PLAY. YOU ARE A LOSING PLAYER. YOUR MONEY WOULD BE BETTER SPENT ON BOOKS OR YOUR FAMILY.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:21 AM

If I really am a losing player because of an emotional/stressed out post where I said things that YES werent rational - so be it, than I'll bow down, and admit I must have been asleep when I paid my kids through college. I might not be a millionaire, and I might not read poker books, but I'm comfortable with my surroundings.

but , if someone could just delete this thread I'd really appreciate it, alot of negativity, and not what I came here for.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:50 AM

Swings,

I am pretty sure you need to seek professional help.

You seem Obsessive/Compulsive about everyone's opinion coming from a Poker Book.

Did the Cashier at the grocery store stare you down to see if you were bluffing today? Is that why you and your family and fiance are having problems? Are they all spouting poker book quotes at you?

Or do you just think they are?

You sound REALLY paranoid, and obsessed about this poker book theorizing, and quoting.

I think at a minimum getting into a Table Coaches support group would be a good idea.

They have a nifty 12 step program. You should be feeling fine in no time. The paranoia will go away.