Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 05:02 AM

Default Blind Battle Hand, bad plan ?

UB so by memory...

Villain had been very aggressive when folded to my SB, He had pushed over a complete the last time it was folded to me. My plan going into this hand was that I need chips blinds where going up the next hand. My plan was to Raise a normal raise and I was 100% sure he would push most any holding. As soon as I did this I thought about the rule of thumb if you are going to call a AI you should just go AI yourself. This move is a high varience move, but is it valid or donky?

7 handed Blinds 200/400 ant 50

Folded to hero T4800 SB A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero Raises to 950

BB T5300 Is All-IN

There where 61 players top 40 get paid..
Old 08-14-2005, 05:46 AM

Default Re: Blind Battle Hand, bad plan ?

I like this play.

I'm not sure your hand is favored against the range of hands that the villain is moving in with against a raise. If the villain was showing aggression against perceived weakness in the sb, then I'd want to give him the same look (by completing). If you have to raise though, I love the size of your raise. Looks like, "Man, please muck. I don't want to get too involved."

The reason I don't think your rule of thumb applies is because I think the villain will push with a wider range of hands than he will call an all-in with. By letting him try to push you out of the pot, you stand to win much more when he gets out of line, which, according to your read, he will. Since your hand plays better against this wider range, this move is more +EV than moving all-in first, in this case.

Actually, I can't back up that last sentence, because it may be more +EV and safer at this point simply to pickup the blinds and antes. (Seems to me as good a time as any to download pokerstove: I'll get right on it.) But this seems like a great opportunity to pickup a mess of chips and greatly improve your standing in the tourney.

I'd like the whole thing better if you had ATo.

FOITNOF,

-D.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:11 PM

bump
Old 08-14-2005, 05:30 PM

I probably would have pushed b/c A8 isn't really the hand that you want action on if you can avoid it. Push and pick up the blinds/antes.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:41 PM

with Blinds going to 300/600 next hand leaving you with 5 bb what is the minimum hand you would do this with.

Previous poster said A10..

new girl friend? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2005, 05:42 PM

I would have pushed and I don't like making that small of a raise in a blind battle. It's a good size when you have position but given you're first to act I would raise more. And like Gavin said, I'd prefer to just pick up the blinds and antes with A8. Given the way you played it though, you have to call.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
with Blinds going to 300/600 next hand leaving you with 5 bb what is the minimum hand you would do this with.

Previous poster said A10..

new girl friend? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
If the villain wasn't too loose I'd push with any two cards.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:44 PM

I'd be more inclined to limp/call a push than the raise call with AT+, but I've been known to limp/call with KQ or KJ.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Results

First thanks for the advice..

BB pushes hero calls

A8 vs. J10

meh, about what I figured he improved I didnt..

I think This coin flip could have been avoided by open pushing here, I think I will stick with this in the future and save the tricky plays for bigger hands.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Results

I like your thinking, but with your stack size an open push is the best play for sure.
You don't really want to get called, after all. Maybe the limp-call or raise-call if you have a big pair, but other than that be happy to a)pick up the blinds and antes and/or b)put the pressure on the other guy to make a tough decision.