Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Re: So i found this dream 2/4 table and promptly lost a $100

Push your edges, don't tighten up by folding hands with high equity. Sometimes they have you dominated when you think you're value raising (or even 3-betting) AJo preflop. If you aren't comfortable with this idea, don't play these tables since you can't handle the variance.

I'd like to throw out a nice "it all depends" while I'm at it.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:28 PM

I don't think AJo is a particularly good hand for these situations. If the people are mindlessly raising all the time then you can probably earn a profit with it, but if their aggression is somewhat more tricky/random/measured then the hand is going to give you fits. I think hands like that and KQo are ones to specifically avoid except in LP in these types of games.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think AJo is a particularly good hand for these situations. If the people are mindlessly raising all the time then you can probably earn a profit with it, but if their aggression is somewhat more tricky/random/measured then the hand is going to give you fits. I think hands like that and KQo are ones to specifically avoid except in LP in these types of games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends. I'm not trying to weasel out of this one, it really depends on too many things to have any clear decision on paper.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:49 PM

Without even looking, I can tell you that you wated a lot of money of semi-bluffing.

Many times in loose passive games, it is proper to just take your free card, in a situation where you may have bet.

There are oppurtunities to clean up outs and what not. But much of the time when you loose a buttload at these tables it is because you have a hand like QQ and you waste many bets trying to push A6o off his paired ace.

I am not saying stop betting, but you have to think a little bit as your fold equity is seriously diminished on tables like this.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:14 PM

Just to stop the vomit fest let me restate: [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

When I said tighten up what I meant to say was change your starting requirements.

For example against a good player raising UTG I would fold an AJ. Against a maniac I would reraise with AJ.

In a passive table I would limp UTG with small pair, but would fold at a maniac table.

You need to adjust to the fact that every pot will be raised and reraised and only 2 or 3 players will see the flop. High cards are more important than small pairs or suited connectors. When you play your high cards play them like Aces and value bet like crazy.

My comments are based on a table where the maniac was 90% VP$IP 50% PFR. There was a calm maniac at around 60% VP$IP and 30%PFR. And the two of them would frequently cap the pot before the flop.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:17 PM

Says:

Opponents Tactic
Extremely Loose play

Typical Incorrect Adjustment

Wait for a good hand.

Better Adjustment

Loosen your standards and re-raise frequently.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:21 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

key loose game adjustment: bluff/semi-bluff significantly less and bet marginal hands more for value.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:07 PM

I think the issue here is much more about the game's aggressiveness than its looseness.

You don't have to worry about betting for value when your opponents are happily capping every street.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Says:

Opponents Tactic
Extremely Loose play

Typical Incorrect Adjustment

Wait for a good hand.

Better Adjustment

Loosen your standards and re-raise frequently.

[/ QUOTE ]

THANK YOU.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:28 PM

Hmm, I thought that the general logic was to play the oposite as the table. If they are loose play tight. If they are tight play loose.