Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Re: My properly bankrolled 3-6 debut.

I'm not thrilled with raising with Q9, but I like the play of the rest of the hand. On the flop you've got a pair hu, and AK/AQ are reasonable hands for the Villain. On the turn you've got an open-ended to go with the pair, so you have to call again.

I'm not sure what the Villain is thinking with the check-raise on the river. If you don't have the straight, you're liable to check after, and if you do, he's check-raising with the losing hand. Seems like a losing play to me.

I'd consider three-betting his check-raise, but I don't know if it's right. After all, AQ is one of the hands you've put him on from the beginning, and you'd hate to lose two the times he has it, especially if he might fold when he doesn't.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:38 PM

Linus- Hero c/red, not villian.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:45 PM

Opps. My bad. In that case, the Villain not c/r the river is fine. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2005, 02:52 PM

AK is not folding on the flop no matter what. You don't really want it to on the turn. In headsup pots, you don't think abuot hands the same way as you do in multiway (playing aggressively, knocking out opponents, improving your chances of having the winning hand). It's more about manipulating your opponent into making mistakes (call when he should fold, bet when he should fold, or fold when he should call/raise)
Old 07-04-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he caps, then I'd think he's representing a high pair and I'd fold if I believed him or check-call if I gave him a high prob of bluffing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding after all that would be pretty terrible, on the basis of your 9 and Q outs alone.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:03 PM

I would this hand exactly the same way.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the thoughts sfer. I think at least one of the repliers thought I just started playing at 3-6 off the bat, not that I won my way up there from a 300 dollar deposit (not that that's a big deal). But at least you noticed the one or two things I did right in this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you played the hand perfectly.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero played the hand fine. On the flop he has two backdoor draws, an overcard, and a chance to blow the villain off overcards on the turn. I would play the hand exactly the same, and I would have never considered folding anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, but I think that he could have had some fold equity on the flop that he didn't use. As it turned out, there was no way villain was folding, but I like to give them the chance anyway.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what the Villain is thinking with the check-raise on the river. If you don't have the straight, you're liable to check after, and if you do, he's check-raising with the losing hand. Seems like a losing play to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I checkraised on the river.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I checkraised on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the river check-raise is poor